with these mod's. anyone know what class I'd be in??

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Killerking1964

with these mod's. anyone know what class I'd be in??

Post by Killerking1964 »

:?: I was in BS, now am unsure what class I'll be in. I have the Mazda rx8. Soon to be fitted with Racing Beat front/rear swaybars and their endlinks. Also will have the CP racing tri strut bar tower and the rear lower tie bar. Thanks, Donna :D
2004 Mazda RX8
NSTU #22
Drive it like you stole it!!!!!
tscott

Post by tscott »

Sounds like it is either a street prepared or the new STU class.
Tyler Scott
Killerking1964

thanks TScott

Post by Killerking1964 »

I was thinking it might be one or the other, but I guess I'll have to ask at the next meeting.. Oh, by the way, your RX7 looked awefully good on our video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2004 Mazda RX8
NSTU #22
exhacker

Post by exhacker »

i remember something about tie bars and strut bars having to be mounted horizontally... can anyone remember that from the rulebook?

also, the RX8 is a four-seater/four-door... technically :twisted: . is your car specifically forbidden from Street Touring X (STX)? what about SM2? I would base any class change on an RTP advantage over where you are now.

you might want to reconsider the rear sway bar upgrades, the strut tower bars, and the front endlinks.... just do the front swaybar by itself (or just disconnect one side of the stock one for events). that would leave you in stock class :-) use the money you save from the other upgrades on some struts and tires, which will arguably make the most difference in TIME. if you can afford an extra set of stock-sized wheels and DOT tires, that would be the BEST upgrade for stock class.

to be really competitive in the other classes, it's my opinion that you need to spend some good money on some combination of springs, struts, sway-bars, strut braces, intake, header, exhaust, ECU reflash, larger wheels, larger tires... depending on the class, even stripping the majority of the interior and back-dating parts to gain every inch of advantage (some person competing for National points cut the roof off of their car to get a non-sunroof car's roof from that year welded in, for example).

the only upgrades stock class allows for is DOT tires (sticky), struts, front sway-bar, air filter replacement (or removal?), and cat-back exhaust (or a test-pipe after the last catalytic converter).

also, pay attention to the RTP (A.K.A. "PAX") for the different classes, and figure what it would do for your place in the overall event. be sure to ride with competitive drivers in the other classes to see if you want your car's ride quality to be as such on a daily basis.

Happy St Patrick's, and good luck to everyone at the school. I regret I couldn't make it in... :-o Oh, and Donna... careful with that clutch :wink: We saw you smoke it out good a few times... i think trying to switch back to 1st gear without rev-matching. My $0.02: Just stay in 2nd gear and practice left-foot braking the FR layout. I'm sure any instructor at the autocross would be ecstatic to show you the ins and outs of laying that car into a turn at speed. :twisted: ... I know I would. Trying to shift on our slow courses takes away time from the clock, takes your hands from the wheel, and your foot from the gas. 8) I'm guilty of it myself... I actually got 0.13 seconds on the Oak Ridge course from going to 1st during an event, but I was 2+ seconds off the leader (Derek), so it wasn't worth the possible wear on my synchros.... :cry: had i gotten the tires, i could have held more speed and just stayed in 2nd gear.
`08 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-Door Sport Wagon 5MT (Obsidian Black Pearl)
ConeJunkie

Post by ConeJunkie »

tscott wrote:Sounds like it is either a street prepared or the new STU class.
I am with Tyler on running STU :wink: Unless you are planning on running on race tires I would run STU. It lets you do alot of the basic mods :D
I am so good I will race you and only use one hand.
Killerking1964

Post by Killerking1964 »

:D Hopefully I can run in the STU class. Now I have the intake, the front/rear sway bars, the endlinks, the tri strut tower brace. and the lower tie bar. Next this summer is the aftermarket exhaust. May get some stickier tires than the bridgestone potenzas when these wear out. Also some racing wheels. :twisted: Donna
2004 Mazda RX8
NSTU #22
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

exhacker wrote:(some person competing for National points cut the roof off of their car to get a non-sunroof car's roof from that year welded in, for example).
Hey, I resemble that remark... uh, sort of. I just bought another car to get rid of the sunroof. :lol: It was much simpler. :?
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
exhacker

Post by exhacker »

I wanna say the one I heard about was an ///M-something. Not sure. Maybe an Altezza....? anyways...
`08 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-Door Sport Wagon 5MT (Obsidian Black Pearl)