Great day at Smokies Stadium!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

Thanks, John, and congrats on getting your car figured out. Very nice course. The pavement drop was not an issue at all since you set it up like that.

Jason I figured you must be breaking those bad boys so you can beat people in their own cars. Good job.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

kinada423 wrote:Still trying to figure out how the times end up changed by the time some of them make it up to the online posting though. I didn't know them miater's was running in novice with no N's on any of their tags. Where they scared to sport the newbie badges?
The only official times are the ones kept by the computer, which are the ones posted online. The dry erase boards are for the convienience of the drivers, and while we try very hard to keep them accurate, it is not always possible. Things get very hectic when there are two cars on course, with cones being called in on a third car that just finished, and all three cars competing in an indexed class that requires the computer operator to call out the indexed time, rather than the scribes being able to read it directly off the timing equipment.

While I'm thinking about it -- let us all give a big hand to Heather, Michelle, Marty, and the other scribes. They do a tremendous job. :rockon:

As for the Miatas in Novice, I'm dead certain the Jon had the N on his car for the whole event -- I saw him at McDonalds with them on, and ran timing the third heat. I'm about 99% on DJ, no strong memories one way or the other, but I didn't have to go searching for him in the computer, which means he had the proper class on his car. Perhaps you were thinking of one of the Miatas in CS, which also ran in your heat?
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Great event. Thanks, everyone!

Had to work my ass off to lose by "only" a second. :x Awesome course, John!
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

JW wrote:Checked the results and.....WOW!

Check out Blanton layin the wood to the '89 Si!!!!! :shock:
Blanton was on a PASS today, that cheatin' bastard Harp musta missed a gate and edged him out just barely. ;)
larry

Post by larry »

Great course, John...thanks. The facilities were great, too. I think I enjoyed running there better than any of the other places we've been. I didn't feel the bump from either direction. Thanks also to everyone that works so hard to make these events happen.
Larry Huff
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#1)
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#2)
2005 Acura TL Anthracite
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

ddillow wrote:
kinada423 wrote:Still trying to figure out how the times end up changed by the time some of them make it up to the online posting though. I didn't know them miater's was running in novice with no N's on any of their tags. Where they scared to sport the newbie badges?
The only official times are the ones kept by the computer, which are the ones posted online. The dry erase boards are for the convienience of the drivers, and while we try very hard to keep them accurate, it is not always possible. Things get very hectic when there are two cars on course, with cones being called in on a third car that just finished, and all three cars competing in an indexed class that requires the computer operator to call out the indexed time, rather than the scribes being able to read it directly off the timing equipment.
He may have been confused by the PAX vs RAW times. I think the board was pretty accurate (as usual).
- Dave Disney
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Hey THANKS everyone for the vote of approval on the course. I think with a little more planning we can do a lot better course there. Me and Robert just threw that together Sunday morning,with no planning at all.
I think the board should go ahead and front $$ to get the whole strip, less 30 feet on each end edged.

AND.... something I forgot to say in the drivers or the awards thingy....
I dont remember the exact name of the Jackson Browne song..but I really want to THANK the folks that "tear it down and pack it up" And
"the first to come and the last to leave" This is by far the hardest part of any event... all that stuff in the middle is just fun.

I guess what Im asking..is for a few more members of the club pitch in once in a while to keep the same people(and they know who they are) from having to be the ones to do it every time. Again...BIG THANKS!! to you guys and gals for all your help!!!!!!!
jb
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Good event John. Congratulations on the win.

Heather and I would have been there for awards and clean-up, but we had to go back to Greeneville and take the stage down. :x

Way to go Jason. Now, pick up the phone and order the new racing studs and lug nuts 'cause you ain't driven my car and nobodies going to let you drive theirs twice :!:
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

John -- you're thinking of "The Load Out/Stay" which is on "Running on Empty" among many other albums from Jackson Browne.
steverife

Post by steverife »

The "ramp" wasn't noticeable at the start. I found it super harsh on the way back up (I need a harness and/or Miata because I was toppin' out my head), but it wasn't a real issue as far as driving. The islands were a non-issue. The part that really gave me fits was the bump on the lower lot just past the island (another head, meet A pillar spot). I wish I could have watched some people run down there, because I couldn't get the car settled before I had to get on the brakes and I was hangin' on for dear life.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

That lower section after the bump is one where you could really only do one thing at a time.

Make the jump, get the car throught the gate, straighten out, brake in a straight line, then make the turn to come back up the hill.

If you tried to do too much at once here, you'd end up coning or spinning.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John Brown wrote:Hey THANKS everyone for the vote of approval on the course. I think with a little more planning we can do a lot better course there. Me and Robert just threw that together Sunday morning,with no planning at all.
I think the board should go ahead and front $$ to get the whole strip, less 30 feet on each end edged.

AND.... something I forgot to say in the drivers or the awards thingy....
I dont remember the exact name of the Jackson Browne song..but I really want to THANK the folks that "tear it down and pack it up" And
"the first to come and the last to leave" This is by far the hardest part of any event... all that stuff in the middle is just fun.

I guess what Im asking..is for a few more members of the club pitch in once in a while to keep the same people(and they know who they are) from having to be the ones to do it every time. Again...BIG THANKS!! to you guys and gals for all your help!!!!!!!
jb
On this note....

THANK YOU BILL HOLT FOR DRIVING THE TRAILER AROUND FOR CONE PICK UP.

If you hadn't done that, I wouldn't have gotten home til 10PM after dropping off the trailer and taking the Excplosion back to Wayne.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

thrdeye wrote:That lower section after the bump is one where you could really only do one thing at a time.

Make the jump, get the car throught the gate, straighten out, brake in a straight line, then make the turn to come back up the hill.

This is 100% true. I think Cbring needs a sit-down session with Pilson. I can't believe that little STS2 car almost got a 39. However, i did pilot that car on a covert mission to McDonalds. :twisted: It's no Cadillac, thats for sure! ;)
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote:That lower section after the bump is one where you could really only do one thing at a time.

I tried. It forced me to get on the brakes later than I wanted and I ended up locking them up every time. I have no confidence in myself when it comes to braking. I really miss ABS, or at least cars that are stable under braking. You could stand up on the brakes on the Mustang ANYWHERE without thinking twice about it.

I'm certainly not complaining about course design, so I hope no one takes it that way.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Thanks John B for the awesome course. My favorite part was hauling arse down the hill, getting turned around, then hauling arse right back up the hill and never lifting till the brake zone at the top. Talk about an adrenaline rush!! :D I can't wait to run there again in a few weeks.
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33