karting

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

karting

Post by steverife »

how would one go about trying/getting started in karting? where would one have to go to rent a kart and get a taste of it? and if one got interested, what tracks and racing series are within a reasonable distance?

or at the very least, does anyone of a website to visit or a person to contact to find out the answers to this?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

go to a skip barber school. I'm sure that would be a good jumpstart.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

You can buy karting magazines at good book stores. I would start there.

You can also try here: http://www.worldkarting.com/
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

working the course with one of the kart guys at the last nashville autocross and then seeing the Endurance Karting ads in the mags i've been getting from my SCCA Membership has really piqued my interest on the subject.

thanks for the site, Mark. it looks like there is a dirt karting (whatever the heck that is) series up the road in Blountsville, TN and several other events and series throughout the southeast.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

If you want dirt karting it is about 5 minutes from Smokies stadium. I've been there a few times and the crowd seems friendly enough. Just turn like you are going to the McDonald's and keep going past the stadium. The track is on the right. I can't remember if they run Friday or Saturday nights.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
vwbud

Post by vwbud »

The dirt karting is mainly 4-stroke briggs based motors, but they run the 2 cycle 100's and 80cc motors too on a dirt oval. it is lots of fun if you are into the roundy round thing.
I've done one of the endurance karting events a few years ago at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We did quite well as a matter of fact...they do mostly team endurance events. They are TONS of fun. They used 4 stroke honda motors that gave the kart just enough umph to make it fun. A lot of wheel to wheel fun for a very small price. for less than 300 beans most times, you can have quite a lot of fun, and there are lots of famous guys that make appearances at these events as well.
If you have any questions, ask me...I can tell you where NOT to buy your parts from! HA!
(Yes I still hate that guy)
-Buddy Ahlers
'03 Audi A4
'84 Rabbit convertible
'82 Rabbit L
'73 Std. Beetle
'68 Beetle convertible