Exhaust and new trailer hitch now getting along fine

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Williampreza

Exhaust and new trailer hitch now getting along fine

Post by Williampreza »

I need advice. I just installed a draw-tite trailer hitch and one of the tips on my aftermarket muffler is rubbing against it...and making an awful buzzing racket when I accelerate. Anybody know what I could use to insulate the two from each other? And where to get it?

Last edited by Williampreza on Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Without seeing it, I would guess that some fiberglass mixed with a small amount of muffler cement placed between the two offending parts and then tie them together with SS hose clamps. You might have to daisy chain a couple of long clamps. This may however still be loud in that the muffler is tied directly to your car without any rubber isolation.

Ah, come to think of it..... go to a kitchen supply place like Linens and Things, Target, etc., and find a silicone rubber heat pad. Use it in place of the fiberglass and cement above. Still use the clamp. Also you might mold yourself something as good out of high temp silicone adhesive found in a car parts store. I like this last option best.

These suggestions are a bit Rube Goldbergish, but ................
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

Posted the picture. It's rubbing there on the right exhaust tip (the one with more fingerprints under the "D" in Drawtite). I was thinking about also putting an insulating layer where the bar bolts to the frame to reduce the vibrations that you mentioned. I like the silicone and fiberglass ideas, I just wasn't sure where to get something like that. If the picture gives you any other ideas let me know about those to. Thanks!
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

After seeing it, I would get a black silicone kitchen heat pad, cut it in two or three (whatever will fit when you spring the tail pipes down), and glue them to the hitch with silicone glue. Trim as needed for looks.

The trick may be finding the silicone heat pad in the right color.

Have you tried just dropping the tail pipe a 1/4" or so?
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

scottgib wrote:
Have you tried just dropping the tail pipe a 1/4" or so?
Will,

KARTBOY (or some vendor) make longer exhaist hangers, so you would be able to eliminate your problem alltogether, w/o a ghetto solution.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

CUT THE DANM THING OFF JUST BEHIND THE DRIVER...
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

thrdeye wrote:
KARTBOY (or some vendor) make longer exhaist hangers, so you would be able to eliminate your problem alltogether, w/o a ghetto solution.
I'll search around for those. I would need at least two, probably three, b/c the exhaust hanger that attaches where the tailpiece joins the last cat pulls the whole thing up. IOW, it's not just the hangers that hold the muffler on that are the problem.

If I can't find those, I may have to go with the silicone plan, mmm.... where do i find black silicone?
John Brown wrote: CUT THE DANM THING OFF JUST BEHIND THE DRIVER...
:twisted:
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Actually, John has something there. Have you ever run your engine without the muff? It is one of the best sounds you'll ever hear. And it isn't that loud until you put the hammer down.

why don't you just runi it straight out of the downpipe? :twisted: :twisted:
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Yeah, cut it off and take it to a muffler shop and have them put in a pipe that turns the exhaust out to the side. That way you get the added benefit of it looking cool coming out in front of your rear tire. :twisted:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

In keeping with how the this thread has turned, I should have originally said use a big hammer to make an appropriate dent in the tail pipe.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

If it weren't for the turbo, I could just bring some straight pipes up through the hood, :lol:
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

scottgib wrote:In keeping with how the this thread has turned, I should have originally said use a big hammer to make an appropriate dent in the tail pipe.
That's the spirit! There is no substitute for a BFH! :twisted:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

The longer exhaust hangers worked great! Except for the one on the driver's side of the muffler. As it turns out, the hole that Draw-tite drilled for an exhaust hanger bolt is just about an inch too low. Therefore, with the old hangers on, that side did not rub, but the passenger side did. When I added longer hangers, the passenger side was fine, but the driver's side hung down conspicuously...I believe the phrase is "ghetto-style". I've seen '81 transam's belching black smoke with straighter exhausts (no offense intended). So, I put back on one of the "old" hangers on that side, and the exhaust is straight! (see the classifieds)

Just thought you'd like to know. Thanks!
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?