this looks disappointing

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

this looks disappointing

Post by steverife »

Year One Announces New Event – The Commerce Challenge

Braselton, Ga., … Year One, an industry-leading supplier of automotive performance and restoration parts and accessories, has announced a new event, the Commerce Challenge.

The Commerce Challenge will be held October 8, 9, and 10, 2004, at the Atlanta Dragway located in Commerce, Ga. Year One is known for creating events which provide activities for the whole family and the Commerce Challenge will consist of a car show, drag racing, manufacturers midway, swap meet, chassis dyno as well as a children’s play area and even something for the ladies.

The crowning moment of the Commerce Challenge will be the presentation of the prestigious Year One Cup, presented once a year to the single vehicle judged most worthy by an elite group of industry VIPs, celebrities, and the invited editors and publishers of the major industry publications and broadcast media.

In previous years, the Year One Cup has been presented at the Fall Automotive Nationals – Bristol Bash. However, Year One has decided not to hold an event at Bristol this fall.

“The folks at Bristol have been great, and the facility is just amazing, but we wanted to create a new show in our own backyard,” said Kevin King, President of Year One. “Atlanta Dragway is only 20 miles from our headquarters in Braselton, Ga., and we look forward to creating a new event closer to home.”

Year One specializes in restoration and performance parts and accessories for GM, Ford, and Chrysler muscle cars from the 1960s to present day. The company currently serves customers in the United States and 58 countries worldwide.

For more information on the Commerce Challenge, call 1-800-Year-One, ext. 300. More information will added to www.yearone.com soon.
here's the link

i had a REALLY GREAT time at helping out at the autocross last year and was really looking forward to doing the same this year. i'd even mentioned looking forward to it to a couple of people the other day at ORM. :cry:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
tscott

Post by tscott »

Yeah that is disappointing news. Maybe we can still do the event. Do you think it would piss off the Atlanta region?
Tyler Scott
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Eh well, can't blame them for wanting to move it closer to home. I notice that they didn't mention an autocross in the press release... so they may not be having one at all (Atlanta Dragway may not have space for one... Bristol barely did).
- Dave Disney
steverife

Post by steverife »

i can't quite seem to relocate where i read this, but the article that i initially read mentioned working to try to find room for an autocross course.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
whenry

Post by whenry »

Hmmm YearOne started the event yrs ago at Commerce Ga and then moved it to Bristol(and my memory is that the reason was lack of facilities). Either Commerce upgraded their facility or Bristol got too expensive. Bristol could barely contain the event so it does make you wonder. I do know that YO practically rented the whole town to hold the event so doing it closer to home makes sense from $$ point of view.
Now we may have time for other similar events ie DW, Prowler.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner