Possible New Autox Iron

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
01badz28

Possible New Autox Iron

Post by 01badz28 »

Hey all,
My father and I have recently aquired a 1989 BMW e30 M3 as a project car. Fortunately, the car is mechanically in good condition, which is making me wonder if this would be a good car for autox. I noticed it has stiff competition in BS, but STX may be a better fit. Let me know what you all think.

However, I spent way too much time getting my Z28 ready to play, so it may be a while before the M3 sees any action. I hope to see you all at WB this Sunday!
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Someone out there has to know how competitive one of these e30 M3s are! :?:
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I have only seen one on a national level that was competitive. It ran in SM and had a late model M3 engine in it.

Locally, Mike Washington sometimes comes out to play in his. He runs in EP, more by personal choice than due to mods. His car is very close to stock and is very nice. If nothing else, you could run against him.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

MARKP wrote:I have only seen one on a national level that was competitive. It ran in SM and had a late model M3 engine in it.

Locally, Mike Washington sometimes comes out to play in his. He runs in EP, more by personal choice than due to mods. His car is very close to stock and is very nice. If nothing else, you could run against him.
Was that the red one at WB? If so I really liked that car 8)
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Is this the same as Mike Arards car??

IT IS F A S T !!
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Yeah, Washington had his out at Wm Blount this past weekend.

The SM car was basically the same idea as Akard's car when he first built it. This was before the flared fenders and when it still had an interior. And, yes, it was very fast. It also made very neat noises. :D
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Thanks for the reply, too bad I missed seeing that e30. I didn't know there was another around here.
vwbud

Post by vwbud »

Mike W's has got to be one of the cleanest and neatest old m3's I've ever seen. Clean enough to eat off of...Very nice for a car that he actually uses for track days, autox, etc.
-Buddy Ahlers
'03 Audi A4
'84 Rabbit convertible
'82 Rabbit L
'73 Std. Beetle
'68 Beetle convertible
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Does Mike W come out often, I am curious to see his M3. This one is not that clean, its a work in progress. I have to get the rear suspension sorted it out first. It has a lot of negative camber in the left rear, and the right rear appears to have none. The rear end also makes an awful racket in slow tight turns.