alarm system un-install

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
whenry

alarm system un-install

Post by whenry »

I need help. My latest Miata has a Ungo alarm system installed and we need to remove it since the fob has been lost. In fact, the car isnt running because the battery was disconnected. Does anyone have any experience with installation/removal of alarm systems? I can trace wires and splice them back together but am just wondering if there is anything else that I need to be aware of. Any assistance will be appreciated.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Try to find the "brain box". It will probably be black and about the size of a pack of cigarettes or a little larger. They're typically installed under the dash, around the steering column, but if the installer wasn't lazy, it could be anywhere (under seats, in truck, etc.). Just unplugging that will disable the whole system. If the car won't operate after doing that, then it probably had a circuit to kill the starter/ignition system. Look for a bosh style relay wired into the ignition wiring harness around the steering column. Remove the relay and reconnect the wires.

Give me a call if that doesn't work, I'd be glad to take a look at it.
- Dave Disney
whenry

Post by whenry »

The box that I recall is clear(?) and is tie-wrapped to larger wiring bundle under the steering column. I couldnt identify any specific connectors into the system. There is a splint into a large wire that is probably the disabling stuff. I just wasnt sure where the other stuff went.
I was so mad yesterday when I realized that the system was locked up that I didnt want to get into it for fear that I would really go crazy and screw something up. Now I'm ready to get into it. I'll let you know if I need more help.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
vwbud

Post by vwbud »

I'm going to Newark, NJ tomorrow...I can ask some of the "pros" there how they do it... :)
-Buddy Ahlers
'03 Audi A4
'84 Rabbit convertible
'82 Rabbit L
'73 Std. Beetle
'68 Beetle convertible
whenry

Post by whenry »

I got it done. Just two wires and a fuse. It runs and the alarm doesnt sound Thanks all
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner