Where to get a flywheel/pressure plate balanced?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
BillyM

Where to get a flywheel/pressure plate balanced?

Post by BillyM »

Has anyone gotten the flywheel and pressure plate balanced before? I"ve got a new clutch on the brown turbo-beast and I'm getting a new vibration at idle.

...would like to have it done. Want to know place, timeframe, and price.

Thanks,
BillyM
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

The only time I have ever had it done was when I did an engine rebuild. That was along with the crank, too.

I'm sure a good machine shop would be able to do it but I don't have anyone I could suggest since the guy that did the VW engine is long gone.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
djjazzydave

Post by djjazzydave »

Try these guys, I'm actually going there today to pickup my crank, flywheel, damper, pressure plate... they balanced yesterday:

American Automotive & Machine
10250 Cogdill Rd
Knoxville, TN 37932
(865) 777-9400

Though I don't think they (or any "regular" machine shop) can balance a flywheel and pressure plate separately without the crank, damper, and associated hardware - you have to balance the entire rotating assembly together to get a TRUE balance.
David
'95 SVT
djjazzydave

Post by djjazzydave »

Well, I just got back from American Automotive and Machine - and they said they CAN balance a flywheel and pressure plate together without crank, damper,...

Give'em a call.
David
'95 SVT
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

djjazzydave wrote:Try these guys, I'm actually going there today to pickup my crank, flywheel, damper, pressure plate... they balanced yesterday:

American Automotive & Machine
I can second the recommendation -- they did the head work on the Camry when it lost its gasket, and were very good to work with. I was also very happy with the price.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Third! They did the heads on the wife's minivan when the head gasket blew last summer. It's still in one piece. :D
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story