Newbie Here... Be Gentle!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
SilverMaxima

Newbie Here... Be Gentle!

Post by SilverMaxima »

Alright, I've decided to take the plunge... I'm planning to attend on Aug 5 at Pellissippi State. I've got a 2000 Maxima (mostly) stock... I've got a FSTB and 18" wheels installed, but can remove the FSTB and use my OEM 16's. I'm going to register online, but am trying to decide on my class... After my first day, I plan to use the 16's (with new tires). If I stay stock (for now), does that place me in G Stock or H Stock? And with some add-ons (lower tie bar, FSTB, maybe RSB) I'd be in STS?
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Looks like stock 2000 Maxima is in G-stock class. LTB, FSTB and RSB will push you to STS.
It doesn't have a Limited Slip Diff, right ?
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Right, no LSD... Cool, that's what I thought from my reading! By the way, what time should I get to PSTCC? I guess around 8AM? And what should I put in for my car number if I've never done this before...?

I think I'll just stick with STS... I've got suspension parts coming in the next month or so, some of which I'm not going to bother removing (springs, struts, LTB...). I have a feeling I'll get destroyed by some of the other cars... :D
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

I'm not sure about what time, I haven't been there myself yet. As far as picking the number, go over the results of some previous events and look what number hasn't been used ( In STS, if that's where you plan on running ). Then register using that number. That's what I did.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
steverife

Post by steverife »

As far as I know, first car off is schedule for 12:30. You should be able to get away with getting there at 9 or 9:30.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ Awesome, thanks! I'll plan to show up around 8:30-8:45ish... As for a helmet, is their a loaner helmet I can use, or will I definitely need to provide one?
steverife

Post by steverife »

We do have loaner helmets.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Great, I should be good, then! Just need to double-check the tech inspection sheet and all will be well. 8)
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

By the way, is there a minimum tread depth my tires should have? I'm fairly close to the legal limit of 2/32", I believe.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

SilverMaxima wrote:By the way, is there a minimum tread depth my tires should have? I'm fairly close to the legal limit of 2/32", I believe.
No minimum tread requirement, but you can't have any cord showing.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Yeah, my tires are nowhere near that! I'll either use the 18's or the 16's... Both sets barely have any tread, but the 18's are wider and grip much better.
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

Keep in mind that the only reason for tread grooves is for rain. If it is dry, then the less grooves the better.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Dentspeed66 wrote:Keep in mind that the only reason for tread grooves is for rain. If it is dry, then the less grooves the better.
Very good point... My 16's should be fine, then... :D
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

We also have a novice class available if you are interested. It combines all the novices into one class and uses an index multiplier based on what your car would be classed in to determine how you rank in the class.

Our "pro" class operates the same.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ That's exactly the class I signed upfor when I registered! :)