1st auto-x

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
SouthrnMaro1

1st auto-x

Post by SouthrnMaro1 »

Hey guys. The 8th i'm going to sign up for my first run ever! Any tips you guys can give me would be a lot of help. My dads going to run in my car too. I was wondering if it is ok to leave the cutout off while i drive? I'm running on cooper cobra gt tires, i guess that doesn't really matter since i am just going out for experience but what tire pressure would you recommend?
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

You need to use the muffler(s) if that is what your cutout question is about. We want to keep the site available and need to limit the noise somewhat.

I don't know what max pressure those tires are rate for, but you probably should start fairly high, something like 40psi. Bring a piece of chaulk or get a piece of drywall from us (used to mark the cone locations) and put some marks on sides of the tires near the tread. After the first run you can tell how much the tire rolls. In general you want the minimum pressure that will still not allow the tire roll onto the sidewall. There are a number of exceptions, but that is a good place to start. Please don't put any tire gloss on the sides. Looks good but is bad stuff if the tire does roll over any significant amount. Slick.

Have you read the material on our general web site?

http://www.etrscca.org/soloii/soloii.html

Bring plenty of water to drink.

We are a pretty laid back group. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Come have fun. How old are you? If under 18, you need a waiver signed by both parents. I can direct you to a url that has the form if needed.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
SouthrnMaro1

Post by SouthrnMaro1 »

Thanks for the tips. i'll be looking forward too it.
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Yeah, having hte cutoutopen at an autocross is just going to make a lot more noise and have zero effect on your time
Jeff Miller
SouthrnMaro1

Post by SouthrnMaro1 »

Its really not that loud but i'll cap it before leave.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

SouthernMaro1,
What are you driving? I assume from your signature that it is some type of Camaro. As per tire pressures, I normally run my front tires around 40-45psi and my rears around 25-30psi. THis is all dependant on the course, and the what kind of traction I am getting.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

that seems awfully low for rear pressures compared to front pressures.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

not cbring wrote:that seems awfully low for rear pressures compared to front pressures.
You don't want to know what I run for air pressure. :shock:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Yeah, my car has severe rear end grip problems. I ran 40psi at Comcast and was having problems with oversteer. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am not running race tires.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

MARKP wrote:You don't want to know what I run for air pressure. :shock:
your car doesn't count. it weighs like 8 pounds and it actually corners on its "tread" and not its shoulders. :)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
SouthrnMaro1

Post by SouthrnMaro1 »

Yes i have a v6 camaro. My tires are rated at 44max. I talked to some other camaro guys and they said to run about 40/30