oak ridge auto-X

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

not cbring wrote:i can never see harp's pics :(

i think i've figured out that if i don't feel like i'm on the verge of spinning, i'm not taking advantage of my car's strengths.
Try the link I posted above.

I have never spun my WRX
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

thrdeye wrote:
not cbring wrote:i can never see harp's pics :(

i think i've figured out that if i don't feel like i'm on the verge of spinning, i'm not taking advantage of my car's strengths.
Try the link I posted above.

I have never spun my WRX
Well your not pushing it too hard then :P I spun shawn's pretty good last year. Almost took Tyler out 8)
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

BIG SPIN, probably because you did both. :D
There's nothing bad about an occasional big spin. That way you know you are learning the limits. The trick is to have the big spin and then go back and figure out ways to go just as fast through the area without spinning.

Yeah, I agree. Better now than mid-september.
When they say, "only change one thing at a time," driving style is a change just like stiffening the rear shocks. Now I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong. I'm a hack in progress, but trying. :twisted: Thanks for the coaching :!:
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

thrdeye wrote:I have never spun my WRX
Me neither... Well never all the way. :P
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
MishL

Post by MishL »

Williampreza wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed this event! The starter/gridders did a great job keeping the cars moving (almost too great, it was challenging keeping scores posted on the board.) Thanks Scott!
I nominate Will as the offical "DJ" of our events. The music was great....
:lol: :lol:

Mish
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

MishL wrote:I nominate Will as the offical "DJ" of our events. The music was great....
Mish
Ditto that! :D
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Well when he's not 'dj'ing' I think we need a hot sounding chick to do the announcing :twisted:
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

MARKP wrote:
MishL wrote:I nominate Will as the offical "DJ" of our events. The music was great....
Mish
Ditto that! :D
Awww shucks guys :oops:
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

Jbgti wrote:Well when he's not 'dj'ing' I think we need a hot sounding chick to do the announcing :twisted:
I can sound like Miss Piggy. Is that hot enough for ya? :twisted:
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Um.... NO :lol:
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

Hey Andy, when you gonna spin the CRX? It's fun!
1. I have spun the CRX and it is indeed fun.
2. Dang near spun it coming out of the slalom into the 180 but reeled it back in. How: I don't know.
3. I've heard many stories demonstrating your expertise at spinning the CRX, but I'm with Robert when he says it's difficult. It'll push and stick all day, but it won't spin unless you do something dramatic to really unsettle it. I do asinine moves that upset the car pretty frequently, though.
4. Not that it means anything, but did you see the PAX results Mark? Does an SM prepped Scirocco = a full race trim GS CRX with that handicap? I don't agree that it takes the car out of the equation, but PAX is a different discussion in a different post.
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

PAX takes the car out of the equation only if you are driving a competitive car in your class. You are, Mark P. isn't. He is king (most days except Sun.) of SM, but we really don't have any honking well prepared SM cars here in our club. This is not to knock Mark's car, it is a very good autocross car as he demonstrates every event. For someone who wants to autocross locally with an occassional trip to Nashville or Atlanta, Mark's VW is an excellent car that probably has a good number of years left in it. It could run ESP, SM, or make some changes and run it in a number of other classes. Put a chipped 1.8T in it and then it would be a killer SM car.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

I was just pleased to see that I was so close to him in the PAX. It'll be a loooong time before I get anywhere near him in the real space/time continuum. I still don't think PAX is "the great leveler" it's supposed to be.
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Again, PAX does work when the cars are competitive in their class. Take a look at John's weakedly fast DP MR2 compared to the relatively slow Celica of Carpenter's. Their PAX times are just about equal each time they run. Remember those are probably the only two cars and drivers in our club that are in the top three in the nation in their respective classes. Your car is close in the hands of a magician (RC) and mine is also fair, although it doesn't have the best tires (it just doesn't have a driver). Keith Davenport's S2000 is also a fairly well prepared car for its class, but not top 3 nationally. Oh and I forgot Doug Allen's Si. When Doug runs with us now, he is way far ahead of the other STS cars.

This subject gets debated endlessly -- about which class has the easier PAX. See the SCCA forums.

It takes both car and driver, but mostly driver.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

i've read the debate on sccaforums.com and alot of people seem to think GS has the easy pax. I was just wondering what everyone here thought of that. There always seems to be a bunch of GS cars in the top 20 after PAX is figured in. I'm too new to all this and don't know what to think. I do have fun though!