Victoracer wear question

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

Victoracer wear question

Post by steverife »

the tires (full tread, purchased new) have about 100 miles on the street (initial heat cycling, and 2 round trips from west knox to ORM) and 9 autocross runs on them.

the outside of the 2nd section of tread blocks is showing more wear than the rest of the tire. it kinda looks like it is "peeling."

is this a normal pattern of wear or a result poor break in, incorrect pressures, lack or camber, bad alignment, poor driving, etc?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

okay, i found a picture that shows what i was talking. this guy had the same size (275/40/17) on a Trans Am.

'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

FWIW, I have seen the same thing happen with other tires - sort of.

Maybe someone with VictoRacer experience will chime in.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

A lot of race tires do this. My Hoosiers are doing this to a very small extent. If you shave the Victoracers they usually won't do this near as much. Have seen this happen on the Ecsta 700's, the old BFG R1's, and on some Yokohamas.

It's not really anything to worry about but it is likely that you will end up cording the tire there if you get them down that far before they turn into rocks.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

thrdeye wrote:FWIW, I have seen the same thing happen with other tires - sort of.

Maybe someone with VictoRacer experience will chime in.
The tires above look OK. Steve, its because your runnin the car with no increase in negative camber, its gonna show more wear on the outter edes A)because the tire itself is a short life tire(low treadwear), and B)because in the hard corners the camber is not letting the tire put more of a contact patch down, it tires to ride the sidwall/edge.

150-180$ set of C/C plates could/would save you some tire life. But thats just me talking...........

And also, if it were ME, id run some lower tire pressures to put more on the ground. FWIW, I ran 25pis in the back and 28 in the front on Sundays event. Ideally you want to run the lowest PSI possible, without rolling the tire over(overdriving excluded).
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Definitely caused by the lack of camber in a Mustang. I run -1.5 on the street and at autox, but can get 3 on my plates. I realize the 3 would be better for autox along with some toe out, but mine is a driver as well and I have to compromise on the alignment. My settings are -1.5 on the camber, -5.5 on caster, and .050" toe in.

Regarding caster/camber plates...the ones I would consider are the Pro3i, Maximum Motorsports, or Steeda 4 bolts. I have the Pro3is on my car if you want to look at them some time. Tony has Steeda 3 bolts I believe. Pro3is are the cheapest of the lot www.hotpart.com and are similar to the MM plates. Both are independently adjustable for caster and camber. I don't have any personal experience with the Steeda plates to say anything about them.

On edit, listed a direct link to the J&M/Pro3i plates. I am very happy with mine. http://www.hotpart.com/index.php?p=show&id=19 The 4th bolt is a little bit of a bitch to do, but since I am lazy I had a shop install the plates and the Konis on my car. He charged me $130 for the install of the plates, Konis, and an alignment.
Jeff Miller
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

Can you flip the tire on the rim (bi-directional)? Might even the wear out some if you can.
steverife

Post by steverife »

sounds like mark knows what i'm talking about.

i wasn't talking about the wear on the outer edges. i was referring to the "stripe" taken out of the 2nd section of tread blocks. in the pic shown, the LF is the best example (2nd row of tread blocks from the top). i even got the same wear pattern on the ones i ran on the rear, which didn't roll over AT ALL.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jared

Post by jared »

I had the same exac thing happen on my Victoracers, which were 225/50/14.
Jared Suter
HS #54
89 Civic Si