Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Ethanol and Powertrain Damage

Post by disneyd »

- Dave Disney
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

From what I have read (hours and hours of research, btw), Mr. Wallace's first 5 points are all accurate and correct. If anyone want to see the actual results of ethanol over time (graphs and data), I can dig up some reports on the net. They are pfd files; I can reference pages if you want.

I mentioned it in another thread last week (debate: Obama fuel...); if ALL of America's corn industry was made for US tranportation usage - it would only fuel SEVEN %! (7%) of our current demand. 7% is nothing! And wanting to up it to 15% is BS if you ask me. It's going to do nothing for us over time from a polution or energy independance standpoint. Over the long haul, it's going to cause increased engine wear and no reduced emissions.

Points 4 and 5 hit it on the head.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

I think we should have a choose instead of having to go to the pump and get 10% and possibly 15% in the future.
2013 WRX
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

This was a foolish move in many ways. Draw, shoot, aim!
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Scuffcakes

Post by Scuffcakes »

A few things struck me about this article:

1. The author quoted scientific studies and provided clear facts.

2. Armed with these facts, his conclusions make lots of sense.

This isn't the type of "news" reporting I've been used to.
David Guffey
97 Miata - STS #40
99 Miata - Nicest beater I've ever had
88 4Runner - Trusty, rusty trail-sled
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Scuffcakes wrote:A few things struck me about this article:

1. The author quoted scientific studies and provided clear facts.

2. Armed with these facts, his conclusions make lots of sense.

This isn't the type of "news" reporting I've been used to.
No kidding. Just reading this article brings a tear to my eye. E15? Really? A lot of vehicles on the road can barely, if at all, handle E10. Unless you drive a flex fuel vehicle (and I know of ONE PERSON, out of all the people I know), your auto can't handle anything higher than E10. And according to this article, E10 is too much for several makes/models. :roll:
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

So where again in west knox sells non "enriched fuel"? :shock:
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Wheelman_13 wrote:So where again in west knox sells non "enriched fuel"? :shock:
Exxon in Solway, all grades pure gas last I heard. Conoco at Walker Springs. 8)

My Maxima seems to run fine on E10, but it's never seen anything else for an extended period (more than 1 fillup).
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
tscott

Post by tscott »

Every day I become more and more pissed off.
Tyler Scott
Budman

Post by Budman »

The Texaco on Lamar Alexander across the street from Blockbuster in Maryville is ethanol free for us Maryvillians! :wink:
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
TedV

Post by TedV »

my diesel doesn't have a drop of ethanol in it. Ethanol is for drinkin
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

SilverMaxima wrote:
Wheelman_13 wrote:So where again in west knox sells non "enriched fuel"? :shock:
Exxon in Solway, all grades pure gas last I heard. Conoco at Walker Springs. 8)

My Maxima seems to run fine on E10, but it's never seen anything else for an extended period (more than 1 fillup).
I filled up at the Exxon in Solway a few weeks ago and I got horrible gas mileage. Next time, I filled back up at the Citgo you mentioned, and my mileage went back to where it was (~225 miles per tank.). Perhaps i had my right foot in it more? I'm not sure, but I found it odd the difference in fuel economy. I'm sticking with the Citgo on Kingston Pike from here on out.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

That sucks a bit because that is the hell out of the way for me. I suppose I will just have to deal with it, and maybe run down there before doing anything too enthusiastic with the car. So far, I haven't noticed the MR2 having too much issue with the E10; although I can tell a difference between junk-station gas (weigels/Kroger) and BP/Shell.

Are there any fuel additives/snake oils that might mitigate some of the issues that ethanol may or may not cause?
OvenMitts

Post by OvenMitts »

While I agree that the government shouldn't mandate ethanol increases, and this whole movement stinks to high hell of rotten political bullshiite, I still haven't given up on ethanol. I do think its wrong to force the unwilling to buy mixed gas, but I think if packaged and used correctly, ethanol can help us. Large-scale production from corn is not going to work, but future methods like switchgrass look more promising. We MUST start weaning ourselves off of oil now, and off of internal combustion completely in the further future, and I think ethanol could make baby steps in that direction. The real solution is to decrease our already-massive energy consumption to a level that the planet can sustainably provide.

FWIW, I've run several mixed tanks of up to ~E30 through the Sube, and experienced no performance losses, no big MPG losses, and no problems thus far. (but hey, not everyone builds 'em like subaru does! :P
Matt Tomlinson
1996 Subenstein
2002 Golf TDI
Mike998

Post by Mike998 »

I never considered the possibility of the Ethanol blend being too high. That was a really good (although scary) article.
Black 94 Miata
STS (or STR) 98 (Depends on how I'm feeling)