NFS: Shift

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
JOHN226

NFS: Shift

Post by JOHN226 »

So are there any other 'racing' gamers out there excited about Need For Speed Shift coming out this week? It's supposed to be nothing like the fast and furious, street racing crap they've put out lately. It's getting 9/10s from everyone. They finally went back to a true racing game with no 'story', real-life circuits, cars that people really care about and serious mods. Kinda NFS meets Gran Turismo. Can't wait.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1023568p1.html

John Manners
SS26 C8 Corvette Z06
BS26 Shelby GT350
AS26 C6 Corvette Z51
EM26 Exomotive Exocet
FS26 BMW E46 M3 6MT
AS26 BMW E86 Z4 Roadster
ke0ki2k

Re: NFS: Shift

Post by ke0ki2k »

well the previews all looked ridiculous, cockpit shots of some 'supercar' going from 170 to 190 in like half a second :lol: but those screen shots look promising. i'm not dumping my iRacing/Race07 until i test it out though, i'd say its still a watered down arcade game, legit simulators just arent popular with the general public.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
JOHN226

Post by JOHN226 »

ke0ki2k wrote:well the previews all looked ridiculous, cockpit shots of some 'supercar' going from 170 to 190 in like half a second :lol: but those screen shots look promising. i'm not dumping my iRacing/Race07 until i test it out though, i'd say its still a watered down arcade game, legit simulators just arent popular with the general public.
Agreed. Still supposed to be arcade-ish enough to be marketable, but they have had a quite a few top drivers helping with the physics. I'll have it Tuesday, so...
John Manners
SS26 C8 Corvette Z06
BS26 Shelby GT350
AS26 C6 Corvette Z51
EM26 Exomotive Exocet
FS26 BMW E46 M3 6MT
AS26 BMW E86 Z4 Roadster
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

JOHN226 wrote:
ke0ki2k wrote:well the previews all looked ridiculous, cockpit shots of some 'supercar' going from 170 to 190 in like half a second :lol: but those screen shots look promising. i'm not dumping my iRacing/Race07 until i test it out though, i'd say its still a watered down arcade game, legit simulators just arent popular with the general public.
Agreed. Still supposed to be arcade-ish enough to be marketable, but they have had a quite a few top drivers helping with the physics. I'll have it Tuesday, so...
i wont be back in town till saturday. bring a power supply, TV, and 360 to the race sunday! :rockon: :lol:
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

NFS games are always waaaay too arcade-y for me.

The sound and graphics look decent, but it's an EA game, so you know it'll be glitchy and the multiplayer will be lacking, and the physics absurd, but it'll get 10s from everyone because otherwise EA will throw a fit. EA has left me wanting a few too many times to get suckered in again. IMO the NFS series jumped the shark with Underground 2. That game was at least honest in its absurdity and had enough novelty to carry it through.

The smart move: Pre-order Forza 3 (http://www.forzamotorsport.net), and rent NFS.

Alternatively: buy it, play it for a week and trade it back in towards a pre-order for Forza.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Iracing.com has no arcade features at all. If you are looking for the true sim that in my opinion is your best choice. Mostly all adults play and no crazy crashes and the physics are as close as you can get to driving the real thing.
NFS does look fun if you like the arcade games. And very good graphics!

Just my two cents
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

yeah, i'm playing iRacing at current actually. the only thing that I could see people having a problem with are the $ and the time that it takes to get licenses (and cooler cars). but if you just like to have good races then iRacing cant be beat.
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I thought you where on there. I sent you a pm on Iracing.

I do agree it sucks to have to work your way up but where I have not sim raced in like 10 years driving the slower cars made be better when driving the big cars. Your fast tho James! I seem your lap times at Laguna. I suck! haha
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

just now saw that message :lol: sorry about that, I generally only go on the forums to find setups. but yeah I was stuck on those solstices for a while so I did tons of laps on that track and my personal best is still at least a second off of the fastest guys normal lap. solstices have been the only cars ive played enough to be competitive in around road courses really, trying to do the same with skip barber cars this month so i can move on to star mazda.

youve spanked me around the short tracks though, I dont know how you turn those times. I cant make a competitive pace at lanier for some reason, I pretty well dominated the rookie races around south boston but lanier has me perplexed. I always used to bash circle track racing but this game has kind of opened my eyes to it, its alot of fun :lol:
Last edited by ke0ki2k on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Yeah I love South Boston but I have issues at Lanier. I can not find a open wheel car that I can drive decent. Next season I will be moving up to the radical and DP car so I think I will have better luck with those. I have came to realize that I would probably be a better oval driver than road course with sucks! But while racing ovals I probably do have a little more fun!
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

FYI, GT5 >>>>> Forza 3. Forza 3 actually has a mode where you just hold the accel and steer and the computer will brake for you. I hate to use the word "casual" but there it is.
Stephen Wilson

Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Steve-o wrote:FYI, GT5 >>>>> Forza 3. Forza 3 actually has a mode where you just hold the accel and steer and the computer will brake for you. I hate to use the word "casual" but there it is.
FYI, no one has a PS3 :twisted:

Forza is very accessible to noobs, which is why the online community is huge. The fastest times on the scoreboards are always no assist, or maybe just ABS. Forza 2 was pretty rewarding with no assists and set to the hardest difficulty.

I'f I can find a non-hosed PS3 in 2 years when GT5 actually comes out, I'll probably pick it up. GT5 demo I played was really fun, but I anticipate being nearly as impressed with Forza.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

:evil: I have a PS3. Although I refused to be trolled on the ETR forums. And they're down to $300 now if you don't want the backwards compatibility. Anyway, you won't actually get through a lap in Forza before you get a RRoD. Hohohoh! :|
Stephen Wilson

01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

The reviews / previews all say its still somewhat arcady. Hmm...
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Steve-o wrote::evil: I have a PS3. Although I refused to be trolled on the ETR forums. And they're down to $300 now if you don't want the backwards compatibility. Anyway, you won't actually get through a lap in Forza before you get a RRoD. Hohohoh! :|
Just joshing with ya a bit :). I've grown out of any serious trolling, fun as it was. Like I said, I'll probably pick one up when GT5 comes out. I'm not an xbox fan-boy. I bought a second hand PS2 on the cheap (~$50 ~4 years ago) for the sole purpose of playing GT4.

Forza 3 demo will be out for DL on Live! here in a week or so. Prior to that it's all speculation anyway.

The good news is I've already done the RROD thing (you'd be shocked at how good the service is for that fault...almost makes it tolerable), so I should be good for a while :)

::Edit::
So EA brought in the GTR guys to do this game. Reviews say the physics & controls are a "bit" arcady. That has me kind of thinking Project Gotham, rather than like Underground from a control standpoint. Honestly though, after playing a few more hard-core sims (GTR included) I just think that "bit" of not-right physics would piss me off.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX