What are your best/most memorable autocross moments?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

What are your best/most memorable autocross moments?

Post by steverife »

Mr. Heath's post about the banquet got me reminiscing about some of the moments that remind me why I do this stuff.

I have several that come to mind that I'll post up when I get a chance, but I'd like to hear from everyone else.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ke0ki2k

Re: What are your best/most memorable autocross moments?

Post by ke0ki2k »

first taste of race tires. driving Eric's yellow vette and beating both of our competition times in it. cutting up with Brittany and John Manners in the timing tent during our work shift a few times. good times, good times. and my last time racing that kart in Nashville, taking FTD by 3 seconds over the second fastest kart and like 5 seconds over Brian Johns in Chadwicks RX7 :lol:
Last edited by ke0ki2k on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ Speaking of the timing tent... Watching Brittany beat Eric in her last run. Classic down-to-the-wire AX-ing! :lol:

Since I've gotten my STI, drifting around the top of PSTCC last October and the 180* spin I did in Chattanooga like the week afterwards...

Several events come to mind back when I had the Maxima where I was able to make it slide through some of the tighter gates, particularly the uphill/downhill back straights of PSTCC. :D There were several events I had a blast at, and absolutely sucked position-wise. :lol:

Then there was beating Mike in his Evo is STU... Because I told him I could. :twisted:

Probably the all-time memorable was the first event I did. First ever run, solo. Wow, I was clueless... :lol:
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

1. First time running at Comcast and realizing how over my head I was.

2. First time spinning the car (Rockwood PCA event).

3. Roaring down the straights at 411 at the top of third gear (including 360 degree spin in infield)

4. Breaking crap on course (blown P/S pump at Rockwood, blown motor at PSTCC).

5. First event with new motor, and coning every run.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Beating Carpenter, Pilson, Brown, and Curt are always good times.

Wiining Pro class after trying for so many years.

The AR pro this year when I got 3rd in the challenge. I kept wondering how I was getting so far.
2013 WRX
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

This year at the DC Pro. Sitting in the folding chair and watching the Super Challenge, while drying off my socks and shoes from the the morning rain. I had my feet up on the warm curb, perfect weather, just feeling happy to be there. Then nodded off to the cars screaming 50ft from me.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

my all time fav point in AX time..

after doing this for 20 years locally and regionally..I finally let Robert and Pilson talk me into going all the way to Topeka in the spring to run the Pro in 02

I went just because the National Champ was scheduled to be there(set your sights high)..and as it turned out..on the very last run between him and I,he had me by less than a tenth..and I beat him..

I was dizzy with pleasure..and he was dizzy MAD! Chris was fast,but Lord he hated to get beat. LOL!
always made me realize..that no matter how fast you are or how fast you think you are..some nobody is honing his skills out there in no place USA..setting his sights on you and will come out for the kill one day... (keep that trophy shined up GebbiE boy) :eating:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

My most memorable would have to be the BMS Event with the dukes of hazard 'transition' in it... I 'landed' that in a whipping slide every time. It wasn't well controlled, and it wasn't fast... but wow, it got the heart pumping. The best part was the reactions of my passengers during those runs and faces afterwards.

Another favorite was at my first trip to the 'black lake' doing pretty well on the first day (before dnf madness on the 2nd) and walking up to the viewing area between runs just in time to hear someone on a cell phone talking about whoever they were there with getting their butt kicked by a KIA.
Last edited by GaryM on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

In my limited time so far, it would have to be Kelly M. and Brittany J. letting me use their vehicles last year as I waited for a &^$^%$^% unique axle for the 325ix. You don't see that too much in today's society anymore.
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Not in any particular order:

1) My first win in the VW - At Willie B, first event on R-comps.
2) Peru NT - top of 4th gear on 2 wheels in the VW - wish someone had a picture of it.
3) Getting to help noobs get faster and sometimes drive their cars
4) 2001 Pro Solo / National Championships - the most awesome autocross experience ever
5) 2008 season in the Subaru - nationals results sucked but the rest was a blast.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

I would have to say driving Mark's car on two wheels was fun but not knowing it was even better.

1. 2001 Pro-solo Fanally: Having them tell me my car was not leagle and thinking I was just going to stop racing for good, then having a several close friends convense me to put some old off brand shocks on the car. Then having ten people pulling my rear shock out of the car in grid to cut the bump stops out to cut them down. And after all my friends help winning by a margin where I was the only ES car in the challenge. ;-)

2. 2001 Nationals having them pull the head off my old CRX and tell me that the valves should not move side to side like that. Congrads you won.

3. Watching Heyward drop passys in Mark Chiles car shaped like a _ _ _ _ . That was too funny.

4. Seeing Heath McMillian win, Seeing John Brown win, seeing students that I had in schools win.

5. Spending time with my friends... ( hearing Mark Pilson tell the 2001 story hickuping in Greenville )

Robert Carpenter
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

The points chase between Derek and I my first full season was pretty fun. Yeah, it was novice class, but it just so happened that Derek in a Sonoma on R tires, and Richard in an MR2 on $45 tire-rack specials were pretty close time-wise at most events.

Barely losing to Curt driving Chris's WRX at the '08 WBHS event for top PAX.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

While the driving is fun, I always seem to enjoy going to national events and hanging with my friends and drinking beer and going out to eat.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

The absolute most memorable moment, but definitely not my favorite, and always a little embarassing to admit:

During fun runs at a Bristol event, Steve Haupt loaded up a completely stock (with some decent tires) early 90's Saturn DOHC wagon with four other people, and still beat my best time of the day.

Learning how to drive, in general, is one of my favorite aspects of autocross. I like the social aspect of hanging out with car guys/gals too.

Beating "fast" cars in a Focus is fun too.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

A few of my most memorable moments...

1. My first ever autox back in 2007 (same one as Marcus I believe). I walked around with Eric and just tried to soak up as much as I could. Didn't realize how bad I sucked at driving until I got out there in my cobra and seeing how far down the list I was on time. Huge a blast and knew I had to do it again.

2. First time driving my old Z06. Just night and day better than the cobra. Just wicked fast.

3. First time on race tires in the Z06 at BMS. Didn't drive well that day, but the car felt like it was on rails.

4. Beating Eric for the first time and almost getting top RAW time if it wasn't for Gebbia at PSTCC.

5. Running the autox at NSS on the road course. Had a few mechanical problems but that was such a fun event.

6. Running the HPDE event with the MCMC at Nashville SS and opening my eyes to road racing. Running 145 mph down the front stretch and trying to make the first 30 mph hairpin turn on the course. Was hooked from the get go.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10