What is the best way to get a car home from out of state?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
tnturbo

Re: What is the best way to get a car home from out of state?

Post by tnturbo »

I would just take your tag to your car, have your proof of insurance and bill of sale and you won't have any problems. 99.99% chance you won't get stopped and if you do you will most likely get a pass. What would the charge be if they charged you with something.

I've bought 9 or 10 vehicles out of state over the years and always done that. Bought one truck in Boston and it broke down in New York City and the cops there were fine with my TN tag in my name and the supporting documents that I had bought the truck. State troopers in PA when the same truck messed up there were similarly helpful and gave me a lift to the autoparts store. FUN trip that was, busted a lower radiator hose on debris on the South Bronx Expressway. Unknowingly did damage to the radiator which signed offf in rural Pennsylvania. All this in mid January with snow on the ground.

On edit: I don't understand the paranoia people have over their tag (especially an expired tag). If it is documented that the car was sold to you at x time and y place, then how does their liability continue. A license plate would take all of 20 seconds to steal off most cars with a cordless screwdriver.
Jeff Miller
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

Here in GA I see cars driving around all the time with just a piece of cardboard where the license plate should be. It says "tag applied for". That may work for you too.
'02 Civic Si
HS #96
flier129

Post by flier129 »

I'm so jealous!

Congrats on the car. I suppose you'll be hauling all those tires back on the trailer you got as well? lol
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Awesome, congrats on the car.

When I bought the Camaro, I just took the tag off the old VW and put it on there. I had the signed title with me along with a bill of sale that I drew up and had him sign. I figured if anything happened, they would understand with the documentation that I had.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

I thought about talking with Brian F. to see if he could get me some kind of sales sheet.
2013 WRX
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

I have some 15X6 Miata wheels for sale if you need them. It would be for street tires since yours are 14's.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Funny. I was just looking at your post and wondering what size wheels are stock for that car. Heck I don't even know off the top of my head what offset I need. I am lost right now. :lol:

I do want one more set of wheels for the car but I don't know when I can afford it. If I sell my Enkeis sometime soon then I may get those from you.
2013 WRX
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

If you just want some decent looking street wheels, i got our miata wheels on discounttiredirect for $89 each shipped. They aren't light but they aren't heavy either, and they have some styles that look really good. er I mean, buy Trey's!
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

thrdeye wrote:If you just want some decent looking street wheels, i got our miata wheels on discounttiredirect for $89 each shipped. They aren't light but they aren't heavy either, and they have some styles that look really good. er I mean, buy Trey's!
:lol:
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

The more I think about it I would rather have some 14s then 15s. Plus before I even think about another set I need some new A6's.
2013 WRX
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

It would look better on the street with 15's. :D
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
integra55

Post by integra55 »

but 14" tires are usually cheaper

as for passing on an expired tag, if I'm not mistaken here in NC we have to turn in our expired tags (I know I know you're talking about Tn , I'm just saying)
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

integra55 wrote:but 14" tires are usually cheaper
This guy gets it.

The seller emailed me today to let me know he is checking into being able to get the title notarized on Saturday (PA titles must be notarized). I may be able to get a temp tag when we do the title work.
2013 WRX
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

I got pulled over driving my Lightning home from NC with my tag that I took with me. Cop told me it was better to have no tag than the wrong tag on the car.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ This. I called the Knox County Clerk's office and asked. They basically told me the worse thing to do was put the wrong tag on the car. :lol:
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random