Expensive Dyno Time

Post by MikeKelly »

Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
gbwrx

Re: Expensive Dyno Time

Post by gbwrx »

Wow. I would be soo mad if the 2nd one happened to me. Guess you would turn to the shop owner immediately and take his car home instead of yours.
2013 WRX
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

gbwrx wrote:Wow. I would be soo mad if the 2nd one happened to me. Guess you would turn to the shop owner immediately and take his car home instead of yours.
Some shops have you sign a waiver... Since Fastech got their AWD Dyno, the waiver you sign basically says that you release them from all damages resulting from strapping your car down on the dyno. Better believe heads would roll if my car went flying off the rollers, and that piece of paper I signed would suddenly be unable to be found. If my car blows up, that's one thing. But lack of a proper strap down is all whole 'nother beast.... :evil:
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

From a liability standpoint, sure no coverage for "blowing up or other mechanical damage in testing", but I would have to think that when you pay them to provide the expertise in running your dyno session (which would include securing your car), the operators of the dyno would have some responsibility for damages incurred from the car running/ falling off their apperatus.
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Oberstwill wrote:From a liability standpoint, sure no coverage for "blowing up or other mechanical damage in testing", but I would have to think that when you pay them to provide the expertise in running your dyno session (which would include securing your car), the operators of the dyno would have some responsibility for damages incurred from the car running/ falling off their apperatus.
Agreed.
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

I see these video's are slowly making their way around the net... :twisted:
Dstan

Post by Dstan »

buy a low HP car and don't worry about it. :D
David Stanford
PSTC 180 (disclaimer... this class is only valid on the discretion to the SCCA that change ST* rules every 5 minutes)
Tires 140 TW maybe legal tommorrow...WTF
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

WOW!!!!! Just saw the video! When the Miata was getting the dyno done on it, I stopped by to check the progress on it......they didnt have it up on the rack like the one in the video.....I sure would hope the shop that did the test would help with the cost of the repairs on the car.....or get reported to the BBB! it was also amazing of how many guys was standing around in CLOSE proximity to the car.....someone could have been badly injured! and what kind of liabilty?!?!?

what kind of training does one have to have to do DYNO testing????? Just curoius, thats all....
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I laughed when I watched the video of the car coming off the rollers. It was not tied down properly at all. I spent nearly twenty years working in hoisting and rigging safety and there is not a day that goes by (unless I just stay home) that I don't see loads tied down on trucks so poorly that it is just pure luck they don't fall off. This is with most truck drivers getting at least some rigging training. I bet that training in tie-down safety is not a very big part of learning how to operate a dyno and I would certainly watch while my car was getting strapped to a dyno. It takes four tie-downs, one for each corner of the car and angled to apply opposing force to each other, to keep the car from moving fore and aft as well as sideways.

Dewey
Dewey Foulk
TedV

Post by TedV »

NEVRLIFTLIN wrote: what kind of training does one have to have to do DYNO testing????? Just curoius, thats all....
"hey, you want to run the dyno? show up at blah blah blah"
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

Everytime I've been to a dyno, I feel like people stand way too close. I'm typically far back 'just in case'. I mean, seeing the serpentine belt spinnin with the hood up does nothing for me, and only gets me closer to potential danger.

Marcus, didn't something fly out from your engine bay on your Maxima a few years back?
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Every time one of my cars has been on the dyno, there have been at least 6 straps on it, four being where the drive wheels are located.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
budjrfan

Post by budjrfan »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:Everytime I've been to a dyno, I feel like people stand way too close. I'm typically far back 'just in case'.
+1 ...... one shot from a rod bearing is all it took for me. whenever you see people standing next to one all you can do is "suggest" they move. but hey, if they don't... :roll:

i'm lovin' those comments on the Evo though.....

Poor little Evo! You can't strap them down, they're meant to be freeeee.

loving how the crowd just walks off afterward as if it was a staged performance.. "show's over folks! move along now.."

that car has more acceleration on one side lol
Kelly Munsey
scottgib wrote:On a course that Brown and I both ran about 30% in first gear, with one downshift, an Impala had FTD!!!!??? Still on that course, Kelly schooled us.
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

Marcus was in the car, I don't think he knew about it until he got out but it slung a wheel weight at like 100 miles an hour. Sounded like a bullet.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

jcoatney wrote:Marcus was in the car, I don't think he knew about it until he got out but it slung a wheel weight at like 100 miles an hour. Sounded like a bullet.
Yeah, pretty scary. I like to be as far away from a dyno as I can.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3