A Story...

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MikeKelly

A Story...

Post by MikeKelly »

With the "Thank you again, TN" thread proving to be such a popular topic, it inspired me to repeat this story for anyone who may have missed it. It's one of my favorites...

As told to me by Frank Rouser (some of you may recognize that name)...

In August 1975, Mark Donahue drove a F1 car off track during practice in Austria. Walking away from the wreck, he remarked that he thought he might have had a tire going away (never heard that one before, lol).

The next day he had an aneurysm while walking down the street, and died at the hospital.

Remember, he was practicing for a F1 race... In Europe...

His ex-wife (yes, they were divorced) proceeded to sue Goodyear in U.S. federal court, for making the tire, that might have been going away, possibly causing him to wreck the car, possibly causing his untimely death via aneurysm.

After several years of litigation, Goodyear ultimately settled out of court for in excess of U.S. $1,000,000.

In a sane country; She, her lawyers, and every judge that allowed that "litigation" to proceed...

I'll save my answer for later...
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
SilverMaxima

Re: A Story...

Post by SilverMaxima »

2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

reminds me of the same type of deal when Jd Mc guffey lost it at Riverside in the corners and ended up on the hill. He did not make it home,car was upside down when it stopped flopping around. the fam sued everone they could and Riverside ended up closing.Not sure if it was the same race when Mark or Rusty lost a wheel after comming out of the pits and backed into pit to reget the lost wheel. Sorry name I think was Mc Duffy or something like that.Purple car sponcered by Rumpkey&sons garbage.
Bob Colbert
integra55

Post by integra55 »

I'm really am at a lost to understand how a family could rationalize a lawsuit after a death from a sanctioned racing event.... surely the racer has/had impressed on the family that racing is a dangerous sport...??????? I realize that the waivers we sign aren't worth the paper they're written on (when challenged by a resourceful enough shyster), but still.........

'course it could have something to do with the attitude that's so prevalent this day-n-age about getting something for "nothing" and if crap happens then some one else has to be responsible...
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245