Marks Roundy Round Experience vs. AutoX.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Mark McCrary

Marks Roundy Round Experience vs. AutoX.

Post by Mark McCrary »

Well as most of you know I will probably not be autocrossing much this yeah. I bought a cheap pure stock 4 cylinder roundy round car. After doing autocross for 10 years I feel I know where I will place about every where I go I was ready for something different for a year. I will be racing at Kingsport Speedway hopefully every Friday night starting March 12th. It will be weird not renewing my SCCA membership. I do expect it to be quite a difference in cars and people. So Far everyone I have met has been like every racer. Nice and willing to help out so they can beat you. I hope it stays like that but I imagine with time and fender banging that it could be different. Anyways I figure I will share the experience with all my friends on here that I do not see or see on facebook and what not. I am actually looking for a spotter if you live local and not doing anything on Fridays. :D
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
MARKP

Re: Marks Roundy Round Experience vs. AutoX.

Post by MARKP »

I would spot for you but it would be a long commute for me. Come race at 411 and I am there. :D
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I am not really into dirt. But I might try it for the heck of it.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

It'll be interesting to see how much autocross experience you can apply to the circle track.
- Dave Disney
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Having made the transition from AutoX to circle track (4 cylinder) previously, I think you'll enjoy the experience.

Tips that might prove helpful:

1- Consider starting from the back for the first few heat races + races - You will find that you will get around almost everyone you were going to get around anyway, and I always prefered to watch the disasterous early season starts unfold in front of me (have good brakes). It is not generally helpful to have rough drivers in fast cars behind you on your first few starts.

2- Never try to pass on the outside going into the corners - nothing good is going to come out of that.

3- If you ever attempt to run a perfect autocross apex, anyone close to you will (immediately) run past you on the inside and lay up sideways in front of you (blocking your apex). If you run over them, you will be paid back in kind (it won't take long). Don't worry about it - run to the end of the straight, take a quick stab at the brakes, and toss the car in the corner. It quickly becomes an addiction...
Last edited by MikeKelly on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

MikeKelly wrote:Having made the transition from AutoX to circle track ... run to the end of the straight, take a quick stab at the brakes, and toss the car in the corner. It quickly becomes an addiction...
sounds complicated..... :lol:

seriously, good luck MarkMc!!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Thanks for the info Mike! I plan on doing that. I really hope its not crash on the first lap and it all be over. I hope that I can use some autoX experience but I don't see there being much except for left foot breaking. My car and most of them are fwd so that to will take some time to figure out.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Mark McCrary wrote:I really hope its not crash on the first lap and it all be over.
Forewarned is forearmed...
Mark McCrary wrote:I hope that I can use some autoX experience but I don't see there being much except for left foot breaking.
Wrong - Autocross teaches car control really, really well. Judging from 2010 ETR results, you'll probably have better car control than anyone you're running against. All you need after that is some seat time to figure out when and where NOT to put the car (and a competitive car).

Don't push a bad position, save the race car for another lap - you have to finish the race to win...
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Good luck Mark.

I'm curious to hear how it is once you've done a few.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Good luck - sounds like fun.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Wheelman_13 wrote:Good luck Mark.

I'm curious to hear how it is once you've done a few.
X2! :D
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Tyler H

Post by Tyler H »

Good luck Mark! I've been getting my fix crap can racing. Wheel to wheel is great. I can't (won't?) afford to campaign an IT car, but Lemons and Chumpcar are great alternatives. Circle track looks like fun!
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Good Luck Mark!!!!!!!!
2013 WRX
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Going to test the car for the first time tomorrow! Hope it goes well and don't break anything. I got a Go Pro for my BDay and will either put it on the dash or roof and post a lap around the track! I am excited! A lot more nervous that I think I was my first autocross! lol
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
Tyler H

Post by Tyler H »

Adrenaline is a helluva drug.

Let the a-hole drivers duke it out with somebody else and pass them when they're broken. I'd say you figure it out pretty quick.