Questions for the RX8 Experts

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Questions for the RX8 Experts

Post by disneyd »

An old college buddy has asked me to take a look at a local RX8 that he's considering buying. I'm extremely familiar with 12A and 13B rotaries, but not the newer Renesis engines.

I'd appreciate any input on what to look for when evaluating one of these cars. It's a 2004 with about 55k on it, manual transmission.
- Dave Disney
disneyd
Site Admin

Re: Questions for the RX8 Experts

Post by disneyd »

More info.... it had the engine replaced under warranty in 2007 at about 30k miles.
- Dave Disney
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

I don't know anything about those cars. But, is the person selling it someone we may know??
2013 WRX
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

disneyd wrote:More info.... it had the engine replaced under warranty in 2007 at about 30k miles.
...and Mazda wonders why those cars weren't more popular. :roll:
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

gbwrx wrote:I don't know anything about those cars. But, is the person selling it someone we may know??
I don't think so.
- Dave Disney
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Seanan is trying to sell his also, fyi. All I know on it is that the interior is immaculate and has factory gps/nice stereo. And there are no mechanical issues I know of. And brand new Hankook's (rs1's?)
http://www.etrscca.org/etrsccaforum/vie ... f=3&t=6092
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

This one is priced waaayyy less than Seanan's or I would have recommended it.
- Dave Disney
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

oh, gotcha. Wont hurt to shoot him an offer. He may need a reality check :twisted:
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Cashiers checks work too.
2013 WRX
sean

Post by sean »

I don't remember all the details, but when I was looking for mine I decided to avoid the 04s. It seemed like most of the issues were worked out by 05. Maybe with the new engine comes all the fixes. I've put about 20k miles on mine in a year and a half with no problems. I mostly just looked for one that had been well maintained.
coneninja

Post by coneninja »

Whats up guys! Long time no post! (I know, i'm horrible) I wouldn't be scared of the '04, especially if the engines been replaced. These (renisis) are a bit more tempermental than the ol 13B, only because they moved the exhaust ports off the housings and onto the irons. This leads to above normal carbon buildup in the housings if the motor isn't driven at or above 4.5 to 5 rpm frequently. Never turn the car on to "move it out of the garage" without letting it get up to op temp. As the engine wears the seals wear down, and if you turn it off without letting it get up to temp you welcome flooding. Never use below 92/93 octane. I'm a rotorhead, so these things don't bother me. Handling is awesome! Weight distribution 50/50. To and from work I rarely hit 4th (street) 5th(freeway)

Mine is an '05 and hasn't given me any issues (knock on wood) I just upgraded my brakelines, rotors and pads. Gary does sean wanna sell the tires??? That's all I lack... Although I'd like to fit my current wheels with some kickass street tires.... I digress. Anyway, moral of the story, IF YOU DRIVE AN 8 THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE DRIVEN, YOU"RE GOLDEN!

ROTORY FO'LIFE!!! 8)

SEE YOU GUYS SOON! (If I can scrounge up some cash)
Last edited by coneninja on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer SPIT HOTFIYA! :(
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

From reading on the RX-8 forums, there is a very wide variety of theories as to what oil to run in the engines, and whether or not to run pre-mix in the gas. We just follow what the manual suggests. 5W-20 conventional every 3000 miles and nothing more than gas in the gas tank. So far, so good.

I do suggest asking the previous owner what oil was used, and whether or not it's had pre-mix in the tank. I've even heard of some that run pre-mix disabling the oil injection system.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
coneninja

Post by coneninja »

Never understood the point in doing that, unless it was like a street ported rebuild or something. But, good point! I do agree about the oil. I've used nothing but 5W-20...
I no longer SPIT HOTFIYA! :(