Corvette drivers...what do you use for numbers?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Budman

Corvette drivers...what do you use for numbers?

Post by Budman »

With the body panels of my Saturn being made of plastic, magnetic numbers won't work very well for me. Do you just use masking tape or are there other options that work well?
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Not a Corvette driver, but I can answer this one. Static cling numbers are available. You can get them from a local sign shop or buy them from http://www.solotime.com/. They require more maintenance than magnets but they are the best option for magneically challenged cars.

Basically, to use them, you have to keep them flat at all times and also keep your car and the numbers completely clean. Also, a little wax on the area where the numbers will go will also help. In the past, I have even used a little spray bottle of water and a towel to help get them to stick.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

Real autocrossers paint their numbers on the car! Doooo it, Budman!
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Hey Budman, I've put decals directly on my cars for years. Clean the paint, apply some wax, and stick them straight on the car. At the end of the day just peel it off. I haven't had any problems with residue or anything else. You end up buying many decals for the whole season but if you buy all you need at once you can usually get them very cheap. If you can't find a decent deal on the decals I may be able to help you out. My brother just bought a plotter. As soon as we can find the best software for the job we'll be able to cut #'s for anybody that wants them. (We've got magnetic material too.)

Caution: I have no idea if this is safe on the plastic painted body panels. I just know it never hurt mine.

BTW-R you sure you never autocrossed before? :shock: You looked pretty fast at the school. STS beware! Budman is here to stay.
Budman

Post by Budman »

CABoegemann wrote: You looked pretty fast at the school. STS beware! Budman is here to stay.
Didn't feel that way to me. Thank goodness Doug is in Pro-class with his STS Civic.....he was faster than me by 2 full seconds! :(
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Budman wrote:
CABoegemann wrote: You looked pretty fast at the school. STS beware! Budman is here to stay.
Didn't feel that way to me. Thank goodness Doug is in Pro-class with his STS Civic.....he was faster than me by 2 full seconds! :(
Well, Doug is a Pro. Wouldn't worry about being 2 seconds behind him just yet. He had FTD :!:
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

CABoegemann wrote: He had FTD :!:
:x :evil: :x :evil: :(
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

CABoegemann wrote:Well, Doug is a Pro. Wouldn't worry about being 2 seconds behind him just yet. He had FTD :!:
Yeah, there's a reason why he was one of the instructors. :D
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

thrdeye wrote:
Yeah, now you know how I felt. Only Doug didn't stop the school and run across the lot to tell you how bad you suck. :evil:
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

CABoegemann wrote:
thrdeye wrote:
Yeah, now you know how I felt. Only Doug didn't stop the school and run across the lot to tell you how bad you suck. :evil:
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, that one guy was working the middle station asked me if I was coming to take over working for him. I said "Nope, I'm going over here to gloat" :D
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Budman

Post by Budman »

Guess I was just remarking that Doug could run that car in the STS class if he wanted to and that I have quite a ways to go before I can consider myself anywhere near "fast". Thanks for the compliment, but I'm fully expecting to get my butt kicked most of the year by a couple of Ford Focus's, a Nissan NX and a Honda Civic Si.

(Now if I can somehow manage to find out where these guys keep their cars, I might be able to improve my odds a bit by doing a little Marine Corps night ops! :twisted: )
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX