Might not be racing in knox, but at least i'm racing

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
93twotonegt

Might not be racing in knox, but at least i'm racing

Post by 93twotonegt »

Currently up in Asheville, Nc on an engineering co-op. Found the local autox group and joined their club. They had a school yesterday, and a Test and Tune today. Ran pretty darn well considering the car I'm using. I was pretty much on par with the other muscle cars out on the field. Here are my results from the two days (copy/pasted from another forum since I don't want to retype/edit it all again).

Wow...what a freaking day (in a good way). Had an absolute blast. The parking lot is seriously like 6x the size of pelissippi and totally flat. Also, no curbs (just light poles). Today was probably the most fun I've ever had in my life. It'll be hard to top this experience.

The day went great. Ran some not so great times, and ran some surprisingly good times. Starting to really get a feel for this car, at least in a controlled environment. Fastest time of the day was 28.3 seconds by one of the pro drivers in a car with R-comps.

My times:
37.2 + one cone
38.xx (got too happy with the right foot, botched two corners).
31.345 + one cone

Fastest time by another muscle car (mustang): 30.0
I'm very pleased with myself. I kept up decently well with an LS1 camaro with all sorts of suspension goodies on his car. I was about a second slower than him once I got the lead out of my pants and put it on my foot. This thing might not be the best handling car, but damn, it's fun to throw around a parking lot.

And I get to do it all over again tomorrow.

Another great day of autocross. Today's times:

40.480 (learning the course)
37.982 (too hot into the carousel, surprised I didn't go off course)
39.187 (first attempt to run the course in first gear like one of the pros did)
37.776 (second attempt at first gear)
37.332 (2nd gear run, best of the day)
37.523 (would have been the best run if I didn't screw up the start)

Fastest time of the day was 33.4 by a cobalt SS. Fastest muscle car was a high 36 (didn't get the whole time) set by an LS1 camaro with suspension goodies (springs, panhard, shocks, LCAs, etc). I was competing with another foxbody all day. His best time beat my best time by .01 (UGH).

Extremely pleased again. Kept up with cars with a solid 70-80 HP more than me and no interior. Finally getting the hang of this.

Whenever I get back to Knoxville in August, I'll probably hit up you all at Pelissippi again. Gonna be a bit hesitant though seeing as how my first day ended there with the curb (I'm sure most of you remember). It's a bit easier out here as it's pretty much all flat and there's nothing to really hit unless you're either completely terrible or totally insane. I feel like I've learned how to control the back end of my car pretty well now. I'm also pretty sure the larger swaybar in the front helped as well (band-aid till I get coilovers).
Wheelman_13

Re: Might not be racing in knox, but at least i'm racing

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Glad you've been able to get back out and enjoy it!
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Glad to hear you are back up and running. A first time like you had would run most people off permanently. Hope you get a chance to come run with us again.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

MARKP wrote:Glad to hear you are back up and running. A first time like you had would run most people off permanently. Hope you get a chance to come run with us again.
X2! It's a sicknes..., I mean, great hobby. :rockon:
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

I have a bad memory Are you running the fox body that had a little "trouble" at an ETR event last year? If yes, I'm glad that you are back in the saddle. Come on back and see us sometime. But with a lot 6X Pellissippi, I might come run with you in Asheville. :wink:
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.
93twotonegt

Post by 93twotonegt »

^Yeah, that was me. 6x the size may have been exaggerated, maybe 2-3x, but it really does feel like a significantly larger area as there are no islands in the center and it's totally flat. Definitely can be setup for faster speeds. The novice course on saturday was an absolute blast. The car with more torque (v8s/hi-power 6s) were getting some impressive speed. The smaller cars (miata/civic) still set some of the best times, but man, watching the muscle cars get some speed going was fun to watch (as well as participate :rockon: )
maximus31

Post by maximus31 »

I might come out and join you as well since asheville or knoxville it about an hour from me
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Glad you got the Mustang put back together, and your previous experience didn't scare you off!
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3