Sound ETR #2

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
eunos735

Re: Sound ETR #2

Post by eunos735 »

Yea guys.....don't you realize with 600hp this guy has to drive flat out.
SSM 96/196
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

Well here is my piece on the issue!

I agree that sound control is something that needs to be enforced to keep the surrounding area's happy. Now that being said I know the car in question and I have not only worked on it but have driven it! The car has the stock factory exhaust on it with resonators and all. I can understand being frustrated about the fact that you are getting DNF'd running stock exhaust. That car can be retarded loud as some others on this board know when it had aftermarket exhaust on it. We switched it back to stock just for auto x to be considerate and keep noise down.

As far as the comment of lifting going past the meter! We were advised by one of the people running grid to try lifting or keeping a steady pace going by the meter to try to lower the sound.

As far as wheel spin. I have been in a number of fast cars in my life but none that have the amount of instant torque as that GT500. I have driven it and the amount of power that comes on instantly is very hard to control at times especially when the adrenaline is running and you are trying to cut time off your run. I also know that he was trying to help keep wheel spin from being so bad by running the traction control.
I honestly think that the comments got lost in translation due to being on a forum and not in person. I know Jcox07 personally and I promise you that he has the “shirt off your back” attitude as well but, I think most of us would agree that we will get defensive when we feel we are being attacked unfairly weather that was the case or not!

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the car to pass sound other than putting a stock Honda Civic exhaust on it please feel free to pass it on as it appears that stock Ford exhaust will not cut it!
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

The main points of this thread are to....

1: keep the last site we have

2; keep the last site we have

3: keep the last site we have

:rockon:
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

Oberstwill wrote:The main points of this thread are to....

1: keep the last site we have

2; keep the last site we have

3: keep the last site we have

:rockon:
Agreed! I have just started to get obsessed with this sport and dont want to loose the only location we have before I de throne Marcus from STM!
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Ted, how does the power-to-weight ratio of a Formula Ford compare to a GT500? I would guess they might be similar.

I don't think Ted was joking at all in his original post. He also wasn't passing judgement of any kind. Simply pointing out the facts. There's a reason the tire spin was mentioned. Excessive sound from tire spin is excluded from resulting in a penalty. That doesn't mean that tire sound couldn't lose a site for us though. The rules are in place to keep engine/exhaust sounds in check. Tires are going to make some noise, whether from turning the wheel or pushing the go pedal, and there's just not much that can be done to quiet that.

Smoking tires are part of being a car enthusiast. We're all car enthusiasts, so we all enjoy seeing some tire smoke. For what it's worth, I saw that run. Enjoyed seeing the smoke and hearing sounds. But I think it was the lift followed by exhaust pop/burble that exceeded the sound limit.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
steverife

Post by steverife »

If it is a Shelby whatever, is it really a "factory" exhaust? Also, exhaust is only a part of the equation. For example, with God's chariot the 88-91 Civic/CRX, intake is a huge factor with sound. I'm sure the blower and whatever mods were done to play a factor in 600 hp might have something to do with the sound.

Could you run some sort of baffle or an aftermarket setup with something extra in there? I know that no one wants to possibly give up any power, but with the unbearable wheelspin, I think you could maybe spare a few...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

steverife wrote:If it is a Shelby whatever, is it really a "factory" exhaust? Also, exhaust is only a part of the equation. For example, with God's chariot the 88-91 Civic/CRX, intake is a huge factor with sound. I'm sure the blower and whatever mods were done to play a factor in 600 hp might have something to do with the sound.

Could you run some sort of baffle or an aftermarket setup with something extra in there? I know that no one wants to possibly give up any power, but with the unbearable wheelspin, I think you could maybe spare a few...
The blower is stock as well as intake lol it came with 660 HP from the showroom. Yeah the thing is not going to suffer due to a HP decrease ha ha ha! it has plenty to spare. I think wider rear tires are also in the works to kill wheel spin.
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I am looking into either some dyno max mufflers or another in-line baffle to help with the sound. The cat back would be an easy swap and hopefully will help the sound, if any one knows of a quiet muffler that would be great, it can even be axle backs. It is the factory mufflers on it and I put them back on because it was too loud with the roush cat back that was on it before.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

onebadbugeye wrote:As far as the comment of lifting going past the meter! We were advised by one of the people running grid to try lifting or keeping a steady pace going by the meter to try to lower the sound.
That issue was covered directly by Ted at the drivers meeting.

Jay, you may want to take a look at the SLP Powerflo catback setups or just a dynomax "Super Turbo" catback setup. On the fbody side of things, people use those on heavily modified cars (mostly with no cats) to pass the fairly restrictive sound limits at Lime Rock (its somewhere in the high 80s db wise, 50 feet off from the main straight). I'd be surprised if the muffler designs were that much different between the two applications.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Thanks it looks like the dynomax will be the first one I try and hopefully it will get me in the sound range that I need to be in.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
roadwarrior1956

Post by roadwarrior1956 »

I failed the sound on my car last year and over the winter found these baffles at Summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32520/
Last my car was louder than yours (102+) and this weekend it maxed at 94.9 (SM10) the baffles helped eliminate the popping when I lifted from red line.
Mike Costa
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...- WOW-What a Ride!" [unknown]
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

That may be exactly what the C*b*a kit (*damnable litigious chicken farmer*) needs. That and a distributor pickup module :roll:

Here's a different link: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... toview=SKU

Many thanks for the idea,

Mike
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
roadwarrior1956

Post by roadwarrior1956 »

MikeKelly wrote:
That right there may be exactly what the C*b*a kit (*damnable litigious chicken farmer*) needs. That and a distributor pickup module :roll:

Here's a different link: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... toview=SKU

Many thanks for the idea,

Mike

Excellent! it would not be the same without you guys :D
Mike Costa
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...- WOW-What a Ride!" [unknown]
steverife

Post by steverife »

roadwarrior1956 wrote:I failed the sound on my car last year and over the winter found these baffles at Summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32520/
Last my car was louder than yours (102+) and this weekend it maxed at 94.9 (SM10) the baffles helped eliminate the popping when I lifted from red line.
I think the grading of the hill may have helped, too.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you were at 95, there may be a point where you need to do something to pass sound. Anybody over 90 should probably have some sort of contingency plan.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

I am curious what STM 7 was at
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX