I think we have a problem...

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Z06Fix

Re: I think we have a problem...

Post by Z06Fix »

Wish I was still there to help out. I always enjoyed working tech or grid.
2010 Subaru STI
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I don't care. I'm a safety steward, can do grid, t&s, tech, or corner chief. the only duties Icant comit to are registration and setup. Just put me in where needed in the chart and ill be there.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Insurance for 73 drivers is $730. $10 per driver with a minimum of $110.

Oh, and the average entry fee is generally $22 to $23.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

I realize that the meetings are close for the Knoxville folk.....I will work on a place so that those that are further east of us can attend some meetings....

And for all the noob's......come out and join us @ Dead End BBQ on May 3rd. The meeting usually starts around 7.....but several of us get there early to have a beer or 2 and dinner :eating: And after the meeting, you can always find us to chat or ask questions.....Dont be shy :)
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

Would love to help, but living an hour away from Knoxville and with the only site being at PSTCC... I can't run the vette anyways. Road Racing is taking most of my time and budget right now. If I get into a more autocross friendly car, I will come back and help/run once again.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

goldeneagle_10 wrote:If I get into a more autocross friendly car, I will come back and help/run once again.

I'm sure we've got at least a few members that would offer you a co-drive.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Eric's SSM car(the car im co-driving this year) is finally getting suspension again on may 14th. I don't know how many ETR events we have planned but I know we will do some for sure. So any ETR event that we do, I'll gladly get there early and do whatever is needed. Course setup, chalking, reg, grid, anything. Where Eric and I go each weekend is undecided, because he lives in Chatty and just came from Nashville.

I'll do anything I can to help the club out!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

flier129 wrote:Eric's SSM car(the car im co-driving this year) is finally getting suspension again on may 14th. I don't know how many ETR events we have planned but I know we will do some for sure. So any ETR event that we do, I'll gladly get there early and do whatever is needed. Course setup, chalking, reg, grid, anything. Where Eric and I go each weekend is undecided, because he lives in Chatty and just came from Nashville.

I'll do anything I can to help the club out!
Thanks Marcus. Please choose one and let the person who is organizing it know you are interested.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yes, please pick something and volunteer for something specific. Although "I'll do anything" sounds fine, it ends up accomplishing nothing most of the time because we don't know what you want to do, thus you don't end up doing it.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

thrdeye wrote:Yes, please pick something and volunteer for something specific. Although "I'll do anything" sounds fine, it ends up accomplishing nothing most of the time because we don't know what you want to do, thus you don't end up doing it.
The last time I volunteered for a specific job, it got changed on the fly to another position when the event started. Thats fine - I don't care where I work, but these threads don't serve much of a purpose if the worker jerk doesn't go by them when assigning positions.

Just mark me down as grid. If you need an extra SS, someone at timing, or you need an extra body catching cones, thats fine too. I can do / have done / or am trained on just about every position but registration, and I've got too much crap going on with the car in the morning to be reliable enough to volunteer for one of those jobs.
Last edited by 01badz28 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
backpacker6

Post by backpacker6 »

I'm willing to learn timing and scoring on the condition that a experienced person to watch over my shoulder the first time or two I do it.

I already know how to tech.
-Brian Darby

PSTS 8
91 Miata
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

Mark,
I understand your comments and don't think they should make anyone mad. I haven't responded to the existing volunteer threads because these particular "call for volunteer" threads have some conditions that I simply cannot commit to.

- I would be very interested in learning about course design. But there is a condition that these volunteers must be willing to attend several events outside the ETR region to see how other groups are doing things. I cannot commit to that. I've been doing this since 2004 and have only been able to attend one SCCA event outside of the ETR ones.
- The other threads require both commitment to arriving by 7AM and committment to attend most ETR events. Simply going by history, out of the 7 years that I have been doing this, the most number of ETR events that I've been able to make is seven, and the average number per year is 5. And even for those events, it is very difficult for me to leave home that early.

My challenge is that I have an adult daughter living at home that is severely handicapped. This situation limits the amount of "play time" that I have available. I have to pick and choose the events that I can make depending on meeting her needs, and to not dump all of the weekend responsibility for her care onto her mother. That means that I can't go out to "play" every weekend, or even half of the weekends each month. And for the Sundays that I can come out to play, helping Mom to get our daughter out of bed and ready for the day before I leave to race is a big help, and that limits my ability to arrive by 7:00 AM. The family obligations simply have to come before the recreational ones.

But I do enjoy coming out to blow off some steam at as many of the ETR events that I can manage. And for those events, I am willing to help wherever you can use me. If you feel that any of the special training sessions can accomodate my personal situation, I am very willing to try to learn more. I do realize that my situation is a unique one and I hope that others can take up my slack. I would hate to think that this great ETR group failed because of my lack of committment. Thanks for letting me explain my personal challenges to committing more time to the ETR.
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I think this may be a situation of "Preaching to the choir". Almost everyone that has posted in this thread (or the whole board for that matter) regularly does a specialized job. I've been doing timing since last year and am perfectly fine helping out there at every event (not burned out yet).

I don't know of any form of advertising we do at events for the website and further involvement in the club. Perhaps this explains the lack of 'new' members around the board to respond to these calls to step up?

I'm going to go ahead and order up some ETR Business cards. I think this would be something good that registration could hand out to inform newer members of the site. Also... everyone needs TEAMETR vinyls w/the web address! (shameless plug :mrgreen: )
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Gary, I agree about the preaching to the chior part regarding those who have responded. I have a hard time believing that others don't get on the board.

Terry, thanks for the response. I'm flexible to a degree on the travelling outside ETR request. It was marked "desired", not "required". That said, timing, grid, worker jerk, and possibly others don't require a 7am show up time. I'm always glad to see you out and you have always been more than willing to help with whatever we needed.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

MARKP wrote: That said, timing, grid, worker jerk, and possibly others don't require a 7am show up time.
I only saw a thread for "course setup workers" and thread for "Registration and timing". Did I miss a thread on the others? I would be happy to do any of the other jobs that don't require me to be there at 7AM or don't require me to be at all/most events. I've done grid and tech plenty of times, but am willing to learn the other roles too.
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.