Question for the rule book people..

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Dentspeed

Re: Question for the rule book people..

Post by Dentspeed »

I'm thinking pretty seriously on going to nationals next year and give the kart a shot. My only goal then will be no DFL, because those guys at the top in karts are machines. :shock:
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
steverife

Post by steverife »

I've never really thought much about DFL, because we are all going to compete, and somebody has to finish DFL. I was pretty close in 2010 in Eric Soto's Civic in STX. I finished 47th of 54 and didn't even open the results book until I got my 2011 results in the mail. I don't care about the results, but I was upset with how poorly I took to the car and how lost I felt out there. This year (15th out of 43) was almost more disappointing, because while 7th of 43 on day 2 felt good, I threw away a chance at a trophy with day 1 and you never know how many chances you get.

I feel like Aaron and I have a lot of work to do to trophy in the CRX. You can almost fill the trophies with guys I haven't beat (John, Ian Baker, Dave Whitener, Kerry Coughlin, Dave Montgomery, Tom O'Gorman, Rick Cone, etc) and that doesn't even count the people like Canak that I've never run against.

edit: My day 2 at nats and Aaron's day 1 at Nashville are definitely steps in the right direction. Hopefully, we can carry that confidence into big events next year.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
bhmax

Post by bhmax »

Austin, I was corner working when you were running last weekend. I was impressed with your driving and was hoping to talk to you. That was my first AX, I was in the blue evo. Also curious about mods and classes. Only have briefly skimmed the rulebook so far. Was mostly curious about how a modified rear diff would not be allowed in certain classes. Was thinking about rearranging the stock plates, but possibly turning the stock 8 plate unit into a 12 plate. Curious what each change would do in regards to classes.
Britt Stracner
BRZ
WRX
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

bhmax wrote:Austin, I was corner working when you were running last weekend. I was impressed with your driving and was hoping to talk to you. That was my first AX, I was in the blue evo. Also curious about mods and classes. Only have briefly skimmed the rulebook so far. Was mostly curious about how a modified rear diff would not be allowed in certain classes. Was thinking about rearranging the stock plates, but possibly turning the stock 8 plate unit into a 12 plate. Curious what each change would do in regards to classes.
Diff changes put you in BSP
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
bhmax

Post by bhmax »

thrdeye wrote:
bhmax wrote:Austin, I was corner working when you were running last weekend. I was impressed with your driving and was hoping to talk to you. That was my first AX, I was in the blue evo. Also curious about mods and classes. Only have briefly skimmed the rulebook so far. Was mostly curious about how a modified rear diff would not be allowed in certain classes. Was thinking about rearranging the stock plates, but possibly turning the stock 8 plate unit into a 12 plate. Curious what each change would do in regards to classes.
Just rearranging stock plates? (US market Evos have plates installed differently for less lockup.) Or "adding additional mass" was something I think I saw in the rules. Which of course adding extra plates would do.
Britt Stracner
BRZ
WRX
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

bhmax wrote:
thrdeye wrote:
Just rearranging stock plates? (US market Evos have plates installed differently for less lockup.) Or "adding additional mass" was something I think I saw in the rules. Which of course adding extra plates would do.
Can I go to Mitsubishi and order an EVO with "My plates arranged like X" ?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
bhmax

Post by bhmax »

No, however the factory service manual shows the proper order of the plates, and it's not how they actually are on the car. I'm researching on the evom forum, and I usually see something to the effect of "stu legal" with regards to the rearrangement, but that additional plates are either entirely not allowed or put you in another class like you said. Also curious about STM since that's what we ran in. Thanks for riding along with me Chris.
Britt Stracner
BRZ
WRX
flier129

Post by flier129 »

You can do anything you'd like in STM, just make sure you have 140+ treadwear tires.

It'll be interesting to see Austin run in STM :D
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

bhmax wrote:No, however the factory service manual shows the proper order of the plates, and it's not how they actually are on the car. I'm researching on the evom forum, and I usually see something to the effect of "stu legal" with regards to the rearrangement, but that additional plates are either entirely not allowed or put you in another class like you said. Also curious about STM since that's what we ran in. Thanks for riding along with me Chris.
You can do whatever the factory Mitsubishi manual says. You can also do whatever the Mitsubishi issued TSBs say. Of course, if you are running BSP, XP, or SM, you can do whatever you want with the llimited slips anyway. I think that applied to STU as well but you might want to double check the rulebook
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

(Bhmax)

Thank you! I honestly don't know much about changing the diff's in the car. I have seen some road race Evo's use completely aftermarket diff's (front and rear). I think Cusco makes some. But I'm not sure what changing the plates would even do. I think the key to making the AWD rotate better is a really big rear sway bar and a bunch of power on tap. From my understanding, Evo classing works like this:

BS (I think bone stock but with slicks)
STU(minor power mods, but certain handling mods, street tires)
BSP(lots of suspension upgrades, and a significant amount of power upgrades, slicks)
SM(anything, slicks)
STM( anything, but with street tires)

Someone else can correct if I'm worng, but I think this is the order. The rulebook states the specific modifications.

I could tell that your IX had some engine modifications, so I don't know what class you would automatically have to be in.

I think I will probably run STM and then eventually SM. I would like to do cams, FP Red turbo, and meth injection to get the boost up to about 30psi) but that is it for zee motor.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
bhmax

Post by bhmax »

Thanks, just starting to learn how the different classes work.
Britt Stracner
BRZ
WRX
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Austin Lanz wrote:Yeah, ideally I could get like RPF1's in 17x10 with 275 Hoosier's (that is the widest I have ever seen on an Evo) but that is like $2,500.00 right there. lol So until I actually make money and don't have to ask my dad to buy all of it, I'll probably just get Hankook R-S3's in 255 for like $125/tire and run STM. I would like to get some suspension stuff from AMS too. Change bushings, bigger rear sway bar, steering precision kit, bump-steer elimination kit, Roll-center adjustment kit, etc.
I don't know if you'll ever run any national events, but some of that stuff will likely bump you into SM or beyond if it's like the STI. Is the bump-steer elimination kit basically an anti-lift kit...?
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

I agree, if there are no plans for national competition just do what ever you want to the car and run STM. Throw some 265 star specs under it and have at it.
2010 Subaru STI
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

Marcus, I'm not sure if it does. But I am probably about to put a Buschur Racing Stage 3 head on it with HKS 272 cams, and I'd be willing to bet that is SM worthy. lol I am not going to do NAtionals, or atleast if I did want to I would buy alot smaller car. I like whp to much to build it for Solo II only.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Austin Lanz wrote:Marcus, I'm not sure if it does. But I am probably about to put a Buschur Racing Stage 3 head on it with HKS 272 cams, and I'd be willing to bet that is SM worthy. lol I am not going to do NAtionals, or atleast if I did want to I would buy alot smaller car. I like whp to much to build it for Solo II only.
:lol: Gotcha. Totally understandable. :twisted:
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random