Chilhowee Event

Discussions related to Solo
integra55

Re: Chilhowee Event

Post by integra55 »

John keeps telling me this .. but so far I've not been able to make it happen :(
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Ok Walter.. let me ask you one thing.

How many times have you spun the car out trying to FLAT-OUT a salom?
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

Things got trickier at big events where doing 60+, but I can't remember a time that I wasn't flat in an ETR slalom in my CRX.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Dang I sure wasn't flat out! :shock:
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

3600 lbs. :( :( :(

3850 with me in the car.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
joker717

Post by joker717 »

Thanks to everyone who made this possible both days were fun even with the rain on Sunday. Thanks to everyone that helped me with locations for sound setup I now know why sound is so frustrating. Day 1 location was a bit of a bust :oops: , and we moved day two location multiple times before we started getting decent readings then the rain hit :x . So I don't envy Mike Kelly's job one bit, but I will continue to help out and learn the best locations so I can be more help later on down the road. Overall I had a great time and learned a lot about racing in rain.

If you guys don't mind here is a vid of my best run Saturday (still .8 seconds off first place) any help would be welcomed.
https://youtu.be/B-yjaE8yn58
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I probably should have said something on Saturday. It seemed fairly obvious to me that the sound location wasn't going to work. But I had other things on my mind at the time. Perhaps you should let someone with data logging capability make the first run, then look to see where full throttle is held the longest at the highest rpm's. For me on Saturday, that was the run to the finish.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
integra55

Post by integra55 »

John Brown wrote:Ok Walter.. let me ask you one thing.

How many times have you spun the car out trying to FLAT-OUT a salom?
more than once … not sure how many

but I do remember doing so a couple of times at Michelin and once at a Highlands event
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones

828-686-3245
integra55

Post by integra55 »

oldmuscle69 wrote:
mikekoty wrote:For those who weren't there missed out . it was fun can't understand what Bob is sayin, but congrats Bob on your win .. New drivers and all did a good job this weekend. .See yall at Pell Aug 9th.
Well I'll fill you in.The not understanden what I said was that he lost,because of smack talk'en of front wheel drive things in the rain being better running cars when it is wet. Maybe so but not on the surface today. Could be somewhere else, but that was not for today!!!----------- Now getting back to basics,Dan that was not meant to have grown like he has ROCKS!!! !!! Dan is a cool kid and glad so many of us had DAN time today. I think Jim had the most fun with Dan giving him rides in the Cobra.
Koty was mainly copying me .. this was his first rain event …

I was hoping for rain, as I figured I had a bit of an advantage in the rain … I did … just not enough

Sat in the dry, Bob got me by .450 sec, on Sun in the wet he got me by .015sec … somehow I need to pick up my game

walter jones

828-686-3245
mikekoty

Post by mikekoty »

Yea like Walter said , my first official rain race- -a totally different animal. I think I'll know how to do a little better next time. The first official rain race in 4 years , can you believe that.
steverife

Post by steverife »

joker717 wrote:Thanks to everyone who made this possible both days were fun even with the rain on Sunday. Thanks to everyone that helped me with locations for sound setup I now know why sound is so frustrating. Day 1 location was a bit of a bust :oops: , and we moved day two location multiple times before we started getting decent readings then the rain hit :x . So I don't envy Mike Kelly's job one bit, but I will continue to help out and learn the best locations so I can be more help later on down the road. Overall I had a great time and learned a lot about racing in rain.

If you guys don't mind here is a vid of my best run Saturday (still .8 seconds off first place) any help would be welcomed.
https://youtu.be/B-yjaE8yn58
I'll try. First, if you can mount the camera further up, you can get an angle that is more helpful. Personally, I like mounting outside the car, just behind the driver. You can see your inputs and where you are looking.

Opening slalom. It looks like you could be a lot more aggressive. Be aggressive going in. Be aggressive coming out. If you need to use your brakes to position the car at some point in between, that's fine.

First lefthander down the hill. It looks like you turned to late. Turn early. Aim at the apex cone. Use the run out given to you going down the hill.

Line for the bottom of the hill and run back up the hill and into the center section seemed fine.

You pushed out way too way wide on the right hander at the end of the center section. That section rewarded giving it up and staying tight. Do that and get back on the gas early and the next offsets are basically a straight. For the 180 facing MLK, you wanted to stay as tight as possible. Stay tight on exit and you can stay in the gas as much as the car will let you.

All in all, you generally want to drive the tightest line you can without fighting the car. If you have a Civic or CRX handling right, you'll be able to make the car tuck in and hold a line with a lift. Be aggressive with the throttle, but don't be afraid to lift or use the brakes to position the car.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah the camera position was real bad. Get it out of the car.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

My vids. Feedback welcome.

On day two, I was 2 feet off of two cones that I thought I was right on top of coming around the first left and then into crossover first time. There went a few tenths.

D1 - https://youtu.be/DttHbJltdxY

D2 - https://youtu.be/OLnl6U2ub7U
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

Thanks to everyone who setup and organized the event! I believe I'm hooked on this autocross thing. :)

Still plenty to learn...I don't think I could have come anywhere close to you in the dry on Sunday Steve Rife! I'll have to learn how to full throttle through the 5 cone slalom...I feel I get too tail happy toward the end; I don't think I'm close enough to the cones yet either though.
Kevin Lindley
'03 MR2 Spyder (blue) - ES 37
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote:My vids. Feedback welcome.

On day two, I was 2 feet off of two cones that I thought I was right on top of coming around the first left and then into crossover first time. There went a few tenths.

D1 - https://youtu.be/DttHbJltdxY

D2 - https://youtu.be/OLnl6U2ub7U
Any obvious differences between your 1st and 3rd runs on Sunday?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97