Street Touring R - anyone going to run this class next year?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
pthach

Re: Street Touring R - anyone going to run this class next year?

Post by pthach »

I'll be racing a underprepared (Stock 17x7 wheels & 205 tire size) 07 MX-5 in Chattanooga. Should be fun. Maybe I'll make my way to Knoxville at some point. I'm very excited about this class, I wish I could afford some wider wheels and tires to take full advantage the limits of the class but that's not in the cards at the moment.
Phil Smith

Post by Phil Smith »

85Carrera wrote:well, I hope a few run this class, I think i've pretty much made up my mind to as i put my cat back on yesterday and also reinstalled my rear seats 8)

given everthing else, I think my car is better classed here than in BSP.....but for my setup I can get 255s out back, but the fronts are limited to @ 225s...also having the engine hanging out over the rear wheels makes for some fun spins. :rockon:
Have you run 225s on front before?

My tires came in this week, Yok. AD08s 225/45 on 17" X7" rims for front and 255/40 17" X 9" rims for the back. Back looks like an easy fit but looks like the front will be very tight. Waiting for the spacers for to arrive before I can test fit the fronts.
85Carrera

Post by 85Carrera »

yes, 225x17 will fit in the front, add a little camber and you will prolly be fine with the right offsets, which is key (7.5x17 with 35 offsets with 225/45 is a good combo @ front)...i tried a set of my friends 17 inch wheels and tires once and they fit my car fine...
JOHN226

Post by JOHN226 »

gbwrx wrote:Bridgestone RE-11
Kumho XS
Dunlop Direzza StarSpec
Don't forget the Nitto NT05s! I love mine and they are alot cheaper, too.

I'm running 265 A048s on the back right right now so I'm out of STR. I'm running STM this year...
John Manners
SS26 C8 Corvette Z06
BS26 Shelby GT350
AS26 C6 Corvette Z51
EM26 Exomotive Exocet
FS26 BMW E46 M3 6MT
AS26 BMW E86 Z4 Roadster
85Carrera

Post by 85Carrera »

Phil Smith wrote:
85Carrera wrote:well, I hope a few run this class, I think i've pretty much made up my mind to as i put my cat back on yesterday and also reinstalled my rear seats 8)

given everthing else, I think my car is better classed here than in BSP.....but for my setup I can get 255s out back, but the fronts are limited to @ 225s...also having the engine hanging out over the rear wheels makes for some fun spins. :rockon:

My tires came in this week, Yok. AD08s 225/45 on 17" X7" rims for front and 255/40 17" X 9" rims for the back. Back looks like an easy fit but looks like the front will be very tight. Waiting for the spacers for to arrive before I can test fit the fronts.
Hey Phil,

I am looking at a set of used 993 Cup wheels right now...might be the same size as yours? - 7x9x17 all 55 offsets...if the price works out i'll probably get them for STR, as other 17 options for our cars are $$...did you get spacers and test fitment? i think i will need 1" in the front, 1.5" in the back...same as yours?
Phil Smith

Post by Phil Smith »

85Carrera wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:

Hey Phil,

I am looking at a set of used 993 Cup wheels right now...might be the same size as yours? - 7x9x17 all 55 offsets...if the price works out i'll probably get them for STR, as other 17 options for our cars are $$...did you get spacers and test fitment? i think i will need 1" in the front, 1.5" in the back...same as yours?

Spacers came in last week and put tires on for test run on Sat. The wheels are 993 cup wheels as you described above with 55 mm offset. I ordered the spacers from wheel enhancement. They are H&R spacers, 28 mm for front and 35 mm for rear. The rear tires fit fine 255/40 R17 but the drivers side front, 225/45 R17 scrubs both the lip of the fender well when I hit a hard bump and with a hose on the inside of the fender well on hard right hand turn. Tires are Yokohama Advan AD08. The AD08 tend to be a little wider than some tires. I could roll the fenders and get clearance but do not want to do that to this Porsche. Looks like I am about half an inch too wide. The 245/45 are 8.5" tread width. I have a pair of 205/50 ordered and should be here mid week. They have tread width of 7.7" which should give me clearance both on inside wheel well and with the fender lip. Looks like I will have a pair of 225/45 tires for sale soon.

Good luck with the wheels. The H&R spacers are not cheap. Cost of used 993 wheels plus spacers was close to cost of set of wheels with correct off set.
85Carrera

Post by 85Carrera »

85Carrera wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:
85Carrera wrote: Hey Phil,

Spacers came in last week and put tires on for test run on Sat. The wheels are 993 cup wheels as you described above with 55 mm offset. I ordered the spacers from wheel enhancement. They are H&R spacers, 28 mm for front and 35 mm for rear. The rear tires fit fine 255/40 R17 but the drivers side front, 225/45 R17 scrubs both the lip of the fender well when I hit a hard bump and with a hose on the inside of the fender well on hard right hand turn. Tires are Yokohama Advan AD08. The AD08 tend to be a little wider than some tires. I could roll the fenders and get clearance but do not want to do that to this Porsche. Looks like I am about half an inch too wide. The 245/45 are 8.5" tread width. I have a pair of 205/50 ordered and should be here mid week. They have tread width of 7.7" which should give me clearance both on inside wheel well and with the fender lip. Looks like I will have a pair of 225/45 tires for sale soon.

Good luck with the wheels. The H&R spacers are not cheap. Cost of used 993 wheels plus spacers was close to cost of set of wheels with correct off set.
hmmm, well i had drivers fender issues when i used 7x15 fuchs up front with 225x50s, but I rolled my fenders and didn't have any more issues...i will be using 1" spacers up front so only 3 mm smaller, but I am also able to squeeze 1.75 degree camber up front on the drivers side which should help (i do my own string alignment at home, and i probably get what i pay for :roll: )...if you haven't maxed your camber out up front, you will want to do that eventually...luckily I am getting my cup wheels for only $425 delivered to the door (they aren't pretty, but supposedly straight) and I already have the 1" spacers, so this was an economical way for me to get my feet wet this year in STR with 17" wheels/tires....for tires I am thinking the Dunlops, but haven't bought tires yet and realistically it will be 4-6 weeks before I can get everything together (maybe your Yoko 225s might work for the right $ :D )... let me know how your new setup works out...