Sound deadening removal

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Re: Sound deadening removal

Post by steverife »

If it is DynoMat, which would have their logo all over it, there is a sweet spot temp wise for getting the stuff off. If you get it super hot, it just becomes a gooey mess. If you get it just barely warm, the tar will pull up without gauming up.

If it is a lesser known brand, then it might be tougher to deal with and we are back to dry ice or heat and dealing with the goo.[/kidofthe90'sstereoera]
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Brian...Maybe it's none of these? Did you buy the car from a "Good Ole Boy" maybe this car was in a FLOOD and his choice of product was 100 cans of :lol:

Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

I know you're trying to save weight, but in reality it may be 20lbs. Personally for 20lbs worth of work I wouldn't fool with it because its a nightmare and messy as crap.
Andrew Hodge
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Have you put a light weight battery in the car? It's a lot less work, but possibly a lot more money if you go all the way to lithium ion. And it's weight high up unless you moved the battery to the trunk.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

I'd try heat, and then dry ice. Maybe a chemical like Goo-Gone or Goof-off. Boo to the naysayers who say spending money is easier than weight reduction. :)
Lucas Coleman STM #72
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The problem is that spending money may be the most effective form of weight reduction: lighter brakes and wheels aren't cheap, but they're about the only way to reduce unsprung weight.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

lcoleman wrote:I'd try heat, and then dry ice. Maybe a chemical like Goo-Gone or Goof-off. Boo to the naysayers who say spending money is easier than weight reduction. :)
Yeah I'm definitely on the budget program haha. It's already got an Optima battery in it. This stuff is 1/4" thick in some places, so I think it's worth removing.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
steverife

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote:The problem is that spending money may be the most effective form of weight reduction: lighter brakes and wheels aren't cheap, but they're about the only way to reduce unsprung weight.
You can always do both. If you are pulling out the interior and maybe caging the car at some point, you want that stuff cleaned up. IMO.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

dewittpayne wrote:The problem is that spending money may be the most effective form of weight reduction: lighter brakes and wheels aren't cheap, but they're about the only way to reduce unsprung weight.
Spending money is the second step, and not the most difficult. Wait until the point of needing to irreversibly modify your car to lose weight. I have toyed with the idea of cutting out my sunroof cassette and securing the sunroof panel in place (and caulking it for hope-for-the-best weatherproofing), but I don't think I have the gumption.

Get all the sound deadening crap out, then ditch the Optima. Those things are sturdy, but they're bricks. You can get a more compact AGM that will still do the job. Maybe the XSPower 925, or a Deka ETX14 or 16, or....lifespan of an AGM greatly increases if you can keep it on a maintainer, which is both easier and more beneficial if the car isn't driven often.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

lcoleman wrote:
Spending money is the second step, and not the most difficult. Wait until the point of needing to irreversibly modify your car to lose weight. I have toyed with the idea of cutting out my sunroof cassette and securing the sunroof panel in place (and caulking it for hope-for-the-best weatherproofing), but I don't think I have the gumption.

Brian, I'd suggest get all the sound deadening crap out and ditching the Optima. Those things are sturdy, but they're bricks. You can get a more compact AGM that will still do the job. Maybe the XSPower 925, or a Deka ETX14 or 16, or....lifespan of an AGM greatly increases if you can keep it on a maintainer, which is both easier and more beneficial if the car isn't driven often.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

How much does a good AGM run?
Brian Robbins
XP 45
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

So I picked up some dry ice today. Much more than I probably need. If anyone needs some, I'll probably have some left over and I hate to see it go to waste.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Where did you get it at?
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
disneyd
Site Admin