Axle ratio question

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: Axle ratio question

Post by thrdeye »

dewittpayne wrote:
Chris,

Jinx Jordan and Mark Pilson thought I was too aggressive at the EVO school. But those were slow courses. I don't have much seat time on fast courses.
That's not unlikely and they said the same for me in the slalom. But, my guess is you were being aggressive in the wrong places. Because when I see your car corner (when you're already in the corner, not approaching it), it just looks like you could go faster if you went for it and got a bit more rotation.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

thrdeye wrote:
dewittpayne wrote:
Chris,

Jinx Jordan and Mark Pilson thought I was too aggressive at the EVO school. But those were slow courses. I don't have much seat time on fast courses.
That's not unlikely and they said the same for me in the slalom. But, my guess is you were being aggressive in the wrong places. Because when I see your car corner (when you're already in the corner, not approaching it), it just looks like you could go faster if you went for it and got a bit more rotation.
It doesn't feel like I could go faster in the car, but that may also be a seat time issue. I'm seeing up to 1.3 g lateral acceleration in the corners on the data logger. I was under the impression that's pretty close to the limit for street tires.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

From the videos I've watched, I think it is more of a car position thing than an aggression thing. Some of the lines aren't very good and then when you do get the car in position, you let yourself get lazy/late. Plan ahead and be decisive. When you do that, it is easier to squeeze more throttle out of most elements.

I struggle with the same thing. :)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

dewittpayne wrote:
thrdeye wrote:
dewittpayne wrote:
Chris,

It doesn't feel like I could go faster in the car, but that may also be a seat time issue. I'm seeing up to 1.3 g lateral acceleration in the corners on the data logger. I was under the impression that's pretty close to the limit for street tires.
DeWitt, I will do something really nice for you ( I don't know what, but I'll do something) if you'll put down the data logger for the rest of the year and the first 6 events next year. It's not on the car, in the car, or near the car. It stays home. Forget the data right now. It's leading you to completely over-analyze and causing you to drive by data, not by feel. If you end up going slower, then I'll eat a shoe or something.
Chris Harp
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Chris,

I'm pretty sure that overanalyzing is not my major problem. I can't memorize long courses the way I hear that other people do. I walked the course at zMax three or four times, I drove it four times. I watched the video more than once. I doubt I could draw a course map from memory, much less drive it in my head. There are bits and pieces, but not the whole thing. Maybe there's some trick, but I haven't found it.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

I agree with Chris. I have never used any data logging. I'm sure I could learn from it but it would be a distraction, especially if you are trying to analyze things between runs. When I get back to grid I sit in my car and go over my last run in my head and think about what I did wrong and how to fix it. If I did really bad I'll sit and think about it until it's time to run again.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
thrdeye

Re: RE: Re: Axle ratio question

Post by thrdeye »

dewittpayne wrote:Chris,

I'm pretty sure that overanalyzing is not my major problem. I can't memorize long courses the way I hear that other people do. I walked the course at zMax three or four times, I drove it four times. I watched the video more than once. I doubt I could draw a course map from memory, much less drive it in my head. There are bits and pieces, but not the whole thing. Maybe there's some trick, but I haven't found it.
Then you have found what you need to work on. Data won't help in this case.

I can still remember one of the courses from nationals 2012.

I have to assume you're trying to remember too many details about a course. Only a handful of cones really matter.

sent from TypoTalk
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

You don't need to memorize a course or drive it in your head. You should be able to pick up the basic shape and memorize a handful of key spots and where you need to look and what you plan to do. I don't think you really need more than that.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Re: RE: Re: Axle ratio question

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote:or drive it in your head.
100% disagree

sent from TypoTalk
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

Why can the really fast guys go so fast without even seeing a course?

Heck, I don't even have mental imagery of anything, so I gotta try to make it work.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

DeWitt,as you say tires die younger.Just maybe change the exhaust and intake and leave it alone.Might see if a seat like JY has is in class for your car.I tried your car for a fit and did not drive due to the seat.
Bob Colbert
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The reason the fast guys go fast without seeing the course much or walking it, is they remember it from the two times they did see it like Tom did at wilmington. Now it was Tom's course, but they changed quite a bit of it and he watched two videos and went out and set FTD. He did that by watching and paying attention to where the course was going and knowing where he had to look and knowing what to pick up at the next element. I agree with Chris, if you can't drive it in your head at the start line with your eyes closed then you won't be fast.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I think that you can be fast even if you never walked the course...
the problem is, you AINT gonna do it in 3 runs! lol

That's why its completely imperative that you know every key cone on course before you make the first turn. Ill walk a National course up to 10 times..
I walked 13 miles at Wilmington.. between Fri pm and Sat morning. Mainly because that was a long course that had lots of visible FU's..

Robert and I back a few years ago discussed that the Pro Class not walk the course.. that would be fun sometime..
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Bob,

I have a Sparco seat for the car. I just haven't put it in yet. There's an air bag in the OEM seat, so I needed to get some things so the system wouldn't throw codes with the new seat. SRS codes can only be cleared by the dealer. I have all the stuff now and I'l probably get around to installing it soon. The stock seat is better than a bench seat, but not by all that much.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C