Why don't we have more elements focused solely on car control?

Discussions related to Solo
90civichb

Re: Why don't we have more elements focused solely on car control?

Post by 90civichb »

Oh, I wouldn't expect any of my inputs to be implemented this season or next by any means. I am not looking to get out of the sport anytime soon, and see me being more involved with the process overall as time allows. I just think course design is something I would find more interesting than say, logistics or accounting.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I am not saying we couldn't use something that you presented for this year, we just have to be careful at pelli as it is really hard to do a course and make it fair for both little cars and big cars and not be pinchy in doing so.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I once counted Johnny Miller changing gears 13 times on an AX run at Elizabethan! In a Vette.
That was the Miller Tire/Trans-Am driver Johnny Miller? A road racer gets more practice downshifting.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

90civichb wrote:
Do you all have a template for pellissippi that people could design a course with? I would love to try my hand at a course design and have some of the more veteran people critique it.
Here you go

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

interesting.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Since I've recently transitioned my autox miata over to a RR TT car I can definitely say track is A LOT of fun. More seat time, no work assignment, faster speeds, more adrenaline, etc. It's also..... a lot harder on the car, 300%-400% more entry costs, and a big kicker for me...... less competitive. My first TT event ever.... I came in 4th(out of 8) in class and I was on street tires. That's like coming in 4th in a competitive class at ETR on nitto neo-gens at your first auto-x. No other amateur event in the nation comes close to the pool of talent you will see at a national event, not mention nationals in Lincoln. I think it's a lot of fun stacking myself up against some of the best and trying to become a better driver.

I believe I'll auto-x for the rest of my life or until it dies out as a sport, but I'll also try to get on the track whenever I can even if it's just TT and not W2W.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

If you want to go fast Marcus, do the standing mile in wilmington. That is a rush you won't forget, but you better get more than what you got to reach the rush zone speeds.....lol
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
integra55

Post by integra55 »

John Brown wrote:with out a doubt, what we do takes a special interest. A desire to drive a car as fast as we can without being on a race track at dollar consuming speeds. Lots of folks do it for a little bit and quit.. others have done it since they were 16 yrs old. I have been fortunate to have done RR and A-X for most of my driving career.. but A-X was and always will be my first choice. Even tho I was decent at RR, the prep time and crash hard gamble will always wear you down. I just roll my eyes at folks in our club that truly believe the Holy Grail is to get on track...
And then.. theres the social aspect.. A-X is the largest gathering of close friends Iv ever seen or heard of..
I love both … while I'm not competitive in TT (equal blame to lack of ability and lack of class prep … can't prep for the class and still run STS) … and since I love autoX, I'll use my TT time for easy track days …

and track days themselves CAN be somewhat boring … I get my thrills from my Lemons racing … pricier than TT (or at least it can be) but more fun …

on track isn't, at least for me, the holy grail … but if I couldn't autoX anymore, I could still have lots of fun
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Thanks Chris!
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

thrdeye wrote:Except from curt. "Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to first."

sent from TypoTalk
:oops:
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

The reason LeMons, Chump, AER, and WRL exist is to give more fun for the money than SCCA and NASA Club racing. I've driven in three of those now and love every minute. I also love autox for the different nature of the beast - learn quickly, drive perfectly, different every time, much more socializing, and (supposedly) cheaper. I'll probably continue both for a long time, but rationalizing the costs for the races is much easier for me than traveling for autox events. I spent more last year traveling to 11-12 'local' and national autox events than I will for 5 races this year. :shrug
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing