Hey! Anybody got a fender-roller I can borrow?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

Hey! Anybody got a fender-roller I can borrow?

Post by thrdeye »

...or know how to do it correctly with a baseball bat without effing anything up?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
tscott

Post by tscott »

Borrow a heat gun and warm up the paint and use the bat and bend them a little bit at a time. Make sure there are no screws in your fender liner that may be pushed through your fender. I got a mini bat that works real well. I can help you do it but I accept no responibity for cracked paint.
Tyler Scott
whenry

Post by whenry »

I was going to offer the loan of a good baseball(wooden) bat but agree with Tyler: The owner of the vehicle gets to make the modification.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

whenry wrote:I was going to offer the loan of a good baseball(wooden) bat but agree with Tyler: The owner of the vehicle gets to make the modification.
His car is BLACK. Wal-Mart sells black gloss Krylon for .89 cents a can. What's to lose? :twisted:

Chris, I would offert to help, but the last time I tried rollin' them(the fenders :P ) I cracked the paint. O well, thats what touch up is for. :)
OvenMitts

Post by OvenMitts »

I think unless you've got some major movement to do, the inner lip is the only thing that really moves. When I did mine, the fender moved out a little, but its barely noticeable. I didn't use a heat gun, and the inner lip paint cracked some, but some touch up paint keeps the rust off.

Are there plastic/rubber moudling pieces that go inside your wheel wells? They covered up all the damage I did.
Matt Tomlinson
1996 Subenstein
2002 Golf TDI
steverife

Post by steverife »

Here is what I'd do:

this + this
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Curbing, thanks for the suggestion. If the car was "gutted" and "tubbed" and had a cage in it, I might consider it.

I've got a heat gun that I can use. Bought it back when I was a hockey player to change the blades out on my sticks.

So do I just take the handle of the bat and wedge it between the edge of the tire and the inner fender and push real hard after heating it up a little?
Chris Harp
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I need to do this too. Maybe we can have a fender rolling day somewhere? I also need to take a BFH and beat my inner fenders in some
Jeff Miller
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

TonyBolton wrote:His car is BLACK. Wal-Mart sells black gloss Krylon for .89 cents a can. What's to lose? :twisted:
Actually, it's blue. :P :mrgreen:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

Brian Flanagan mentioned using a jackhandle to flare his after cutting on the fender liner.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

MARKP wrote:
TonyBolton wrote:His car is BLACK. Wal-Mart sells black gloss Krylon for .89 cents a can. What's to lose? :twisted:
Actually, it's blue. :P :mrgreen:
Midnight Black. :P

But yeah, it is blue.
Chris Harp
OvenMitts

Post by OvenMitts »

You wedge a smaller part of the bat between tire and fender and roll the car back and forth, and the bat should roll up and down the fender. Then you just work your way up to the bigger parts of the bat, depending on how much you've got to move.
Matt Tomlinson
1996 Subenstein
2002 Golf TDI
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

not cbring wrote:Brian Flanagan mentioned using a jackhandle to flare his after cutting on the fender liner.
I don't necessarily recommend the Flanagan method if you want it to look purty. I've seen him "adjust" fender clearance issues with a sledgehammer.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Doug

Post by Doug »

MARKP wrote: I've seen him "adjust" fender clearance issues with a sledgehammer.
I've seen him do it with a loose wheel :shock:
Doug Allen
89 Civic Si
ST 98
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

MARKP wrote:
not cbring wrote:Brian Flanagan mentioned using a jackhandle to flare his after cutting on the fender liner.
I don't necessarily recommend the Flanagan method if you want it to look purty. I've seen him "adjust" fender clearance issues with a sledgehammer.
Well, it doens't have to be beautiful, but I don't want a car that I'm still making payments on looking like crap
Chris Harp