Oak Ridge Motorsports Park needs help

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
BrianChevy

Oak Ridge Motorsports Park needs help

Post by BrianChevy »

Dear friends you probably remember me from auto crossing with you for several years.I helped with Karts & I have the bright orange 87 Camaro and the big black 2017 1LE. I’m leading a group on Facebook called friends of Oak Ridge Motorsports Park. And we are trying to build public support for this facility. If you were a resident of Anderson County Oak Ridge or Rowan County please look at the below message and text today to get registered to help our effort as a taxpayer resident.

****** URGENT APPEAL ******
Friends of ORMP, The development team needs to involve residents in favor of the track. it's URGENT. IF you live in Roane or Anderson Counties or Oak Ridge TN, please text or call ASAP. 865-329-0553 or 865-789-2669
Thanks. Brian @FORMP
<>
thrdeye

Re: Oak Ridge Motorsports Park needs help

Post by thrdeye »

They requested more support today via email
Good morning Friends, We are 30 hours away from the Council vote on the track. IF you have time to fire off a quick email in support of the track, we would greatly appreciate it. There is so much economic opportunity for Oak Ridge & for us racers & car community. Please share your thoughts.

commdev@oakridgetn.gov & council citycouncil@oakridgetn.gov
I sent this if it helps anyone put a note together.
To those it may concern,

I wanted to take a moment to send a note to voice support for the Motorsports Park in Oak Ridge. As a former Regional Executive for the East Tennessee Sports Car Club of America, I am hopeful that the park will be developed in the near future. Motorsports is no longer just a hobby here in our area. It is a growing culture of enthusiasts and professionals that help to make a real positive impact on economies and communities.

I understand that the track is slated to be designed by Tilke, whose firm has designed and developed many famous tracks across the world, including some in Formula1, such as Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas and Yas Marina Circuit in Dubai, UAE.

Additionally, the firm is also known for incredible destinations on a smaller scale at venues such as Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP). Drivers from all over the southeast frequently travel to AMP for driving schools, track days, and other events. There is no doubt that the Oak Ridge Park could similarly be a popular destination.

Thanks for your time and consideration. I look forward to seeing ORMP move ahead.
Regards,
Chris Harp
Lenoir City, TN
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Just sent a letter as well. Here's mine for example purposes.

Please accept this letter of support for the proposed Oak Ridge Motorsports Park.  I am a former Oak Ridge resident and am familiar with the area.  I currently reside in west Knoxville and would absolutely support and promote this facility to others across the eastern US. 

I am a current member of the East TN Region of The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and have been an active participant in motorsports related activities for roughly 30 years.  I currently serve as the secretary for this region and also serve as the Solo Development Coordinator (SDC) for the Southeast Division of SCCA.  I participate in events locally and as far away as Nebraska. 

This facility would bring many opportunities for continued development and income for the Oak Ridge community.  The SCCA family is a large group, many of whom travel to different venues to participate in motorsports events.  A facility like this would draw participants from all over the eastern US for road races, time trials, and even autocrosses.  Outside of the SCCA community, there are several other amateur motorsports sanctioning bodies that would be interested in this facility ranging from motorcycles to automobiles and from people running time trials or autocrosses with their street driven vehicles to race cars that are typically seen on TV.  That's not to mention the potential participation from professional racing organizations that could also draw large numbers of spectators. 

I have also contacted the national office of SCCA to see if they can provide any data showing the financial impact of one of their events coming to a community.  They are working on gathering that information but I am not sure if it will be available by the next time the council meets. 

Please feel free to contact me either by email or phone call if you have any questions that I can help answer. 
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
DickCDawg

Post by DickCDawg »

Here's the input I sent:

To those it may concern,
I am a 70 year old resident of west Knox county who has been involved in motorsports since the 1970’s. Currently I have an active road racing license with the Sports Car Club of America, and participate annually in several 3 to 4 day events at facilities requiring several hours of travel:
• Virginia International in Danville, VA
• Summit Point near Harper’s Ferry, VA
• Roebling Road near Savannah, GA
• Road Atlanta near Gainesville, GA
• Barber Motorsports near Birmingham, AL

Typically these events will have 250 to 325 entries, with each entry bringing an average of 3 people as driver and crew, along with dozens of volunteers to work in event operations (tech inspectors, grid workers, and flagging stations crew). The majority of entrants & workers are travelling multiple hours from home to participate in these events – I believe this represents a significant ‘tourism revenue’ opportunity if the Oak Ridge Motorsports Park becomes reality.

Furthermore, motorsports event can offer an opportunity for young drivers to learn how to drive vehicles in challenging situations, making them safer drivers when they are on public roads. Information on this type of event is available at https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ve-driving

Therefore I believe that a motorsports facility in Oak Ridge near the I-75 and I-40 junction will easily draw participants from bordering states to provide a significant boost for the local economy, along with providing a great facility for training safer young drivers. I only regret that the opening of OMRP might come when I am too old to be one of the drivers and may have to enjoy being a volunteer event worker!

Best regards,
Dick Hancock
Knoxville, TN 37932
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

From what I've seen on the book of feces, the meeting went well and the zoning ordinance passed.
So that's one more hurdle they've jumped thru.

Progress. Maybe by the time this place is built I might have a car again.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

OAK RIDGE location has been abandoned for those of you not on FB.

The group is looking into other East TN locations.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing