Subi mechanic recommendations?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
benk

Subi mechanic recommendations?

Post by benk »

As many of you smelled yesterday, I need to get the clutch done on the WRX before the next event. Decided not to do it myself so looking for recommendations on shops. Also looking to get the head gaskets done while its in. So who are the guys to go to? Specifically looking for alternatives to Fasttech as my (single) experience with them wasn't fantastic.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
MARKP

Re: Subi mechanic recommendations?

Post by MARKP »

No personal experience but many years ago, City Limit Motors off the Clinton / Norris exit had a good reputation with Subarus. They are definitely not a performance shop, though.
Last edited by MARKP on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I don't have a recommendation, other than to say that they're pretty easy to do, as cars go. I've done several over the years and it isn't a bad job since the Subies are laid out like a rear wheel drive car. The biggest pain is getting the trans to separate from the block, as the two dowel pins that align it like to crust up and hold it together, but you just have to know where to pry.
- Dave Disney
benk

Post by benk »

Yeah, if it was just the clutch then I wouldn't be as picky, but doing the head gaskets as well makes me think twice.

Mark, I had a guy approach me in a parking lot (by chance) about if I had someone doing the work on the WRX and he was from city limit. I think I'll look into them.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH