Classing help.

Discussions related to Solo
DBOWMANEOD

Classing help.

Post by DBOWMANEOD »

Ok so I'm brand new to all of this. I'm thinking about heading up to Bristol for the autocross event. But I dont know how or where to class my car. It's a 2015 impreza STI. I've got a cold air intake, cobb downpipe, Tomei catback exhaust, cobb AP tuner, boomba BPV, cobb short shifter with bushings, RCE yellow lowering springs, whiteline sway bars with endlinks, and I'm on factory rims with michelin tires. I've read so much that I'm confused on what class to be in.🤣🤣 Help🤣
2015 Subaru STI #93ASP
Buck05Sti

Re: Classing help.

Post by Buck05Sti »

Basically the BPV bumps you way up in class, I believe either SM (street mod) or at the least ASP (A- Street Prepared). I used to have an aftermarket valve on my STi and i remember it caused me to be way outclassed.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

As long as the tires are 200TW or higher you can run in either STM or XSA ( I think XSA is the right one for the STI ).

STM is a heads up, run what you brung , class on street tires that the region uses for a catch all for cars that might be over modified for certain classes.

SM ( Street Mod ) is a class that would normally have people running on race tires ( under 200TW ) so, especially for new people so they don't get discouraged against highly prepped cars, they made the STM ( Street Tire Modifeid ) so everyone plays on an even level.
Additionally, since you're new, you're also going to be in the "N" Novice index class.

Hope that helps a little. It's really confusing at 1st and for new people that have cars they modified for either street fun, drag racing or track use, the ruleset might not make sense and seem stupid, but it's a pretty well thought out set of standards.

If you get hooked on solo, you might end up altering your car to better suit a specific class, or change cars.

Hope you have fun and remember 2 things... tell them you're a 1st timer so they can make sure you get help and 2) ask questions.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

DBOWMANEOD wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:24 pm Ok so I'm brand new to all of this. I'm thinking about heading up to Bristol for the autocross event. But I dont know how or where to class my car. It's a 2015 impreza STI. I've got a cold air intake, cobb downpipe, Tomei catback exhaust, cobb AP tuner, boomba BPV, cobb short shifter with bushings, RCE yellow lowering springs, whiteline sway bars with endlinks, and I'm on factory rims with michelin tires. I've read so much that I'm confused on what class to be in.🤣🤣 Help🤣
Put the stock BPV back on and come run in STU with me! :lol: :rockon:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

DBOWMANEOD

Post by DBOWMANEOD »

Buck05Sti wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 pm
DBOWMANEOD wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:24 pm Ok so I'm brand new to all of this. I'm thinking about heading up to Bristol for the autocross event. But I dont know how or where to class my car. It's a 2015 impreza STI. I've got a cold air intake, cobb downpipe, Tomei catback exhaust, cobb AP tuner, boomba BPV, cobb short shifter with bushings, RCE yellow lowering springs, whiteline sway bars with endlinks, and I'm on factory rims with michelin tires. I've read so much that I'm confused on what class to be in.🤣🤣 Help🤣
Wouldn't the stock bpv mess up my tune?
2015 Subaru STI #93ASP
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

DBOWMANEOD wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:48 pm
Buck05Sti wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 pm
Wouldn't the stock bpv mess up my tune?
Depends on the tune. Is it Speed density? I used to have a 50/50 valve on my car that wasnt tuned for, so when i would shift after a hard acceleration, i'd get a loud pop/backfire. Is your valve VTA or a 50/50?
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

DBOWMANEOD

Post by DBOWMANEOD »

It's a boomba BPV. I got my tune at fast tech. It pops a little now after hard acceleration but not much
2015 Subaru STI #93ASP
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

Is the BPV a full recirculating valve or one that vents to the atmosphere?
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

DBOWMANEOD

Post by DBOWMANEOD »

Full recirculating.
2015 Subaru STI #93ASP
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

DBOWMANEOD wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:11 pm Full recirculating.
If that's the case, youre most likely fine running a stock BPV, unless you're running a crazy amount of boost and NEED an aftermarket bpv
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

DBOWMANEOD

Post by DBOWMANEOD »

In sport sharp max boost is 21 lbs. So not an insane amount at all.
2015 Subaru STI #93ASP
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

DBOWMANEOD wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:51 pm In sport sharp max boost is 21 lbs. So not an insane amount at all.
You should be fine with a stock valve. I run about 19PSI on my stock BPV. And still get all the fun noises with the intake :lol:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20