AARC/TT event @ road Atlanta 2021

Discussions related to SCCA Road Racing, Time Trials, and PDX.
ConeEater

AARC/TT event @ road Atlanta 2021

Post by ConeEater »

Quick writeup for you all since I know most of the RR guys don't seem to post here much.

Went to Rd. ATL this past weekend for the final SCCA TT national Tour that ran with the AARC event and what a wild time.

Let me preface this with that Other than the Corvette experience @ NCM a few years ago ( which you DO get to push some ) I've never been on a road course at speed until this weekend. The fact that it was RA was like jumping into the deep end of a pool when you aren't sure how to swim and you forgot you left 10 lb bags of lead in your shorts.

My goals were simple - Stay out of the way of the faster cars, keep the car and myself scuff free, and have fun. The 1st was not simple and the only saving grace was that my pace was slow enough that after the 1st day, I was way far back in grid and didn't have much behind me to worry about passing issues. The practice session was so intense that I was questioning if I should be there. I was rattled and freaking out a bit.
1st TA session was a LITTLE better since we were grided by our times, but by the end of the 25 minute session, I still was getting lapped and I at least got better at managing traffic.

That night I watched a lot of in car videos of others and realized where I was really hurting myself as well as some line choices. Got some good advice from TomO about how to handle point bys and where and when to go offline to allow passing vs staying on line. That helped a bunch.

Sunday I felt a bit more at ease and had a plan where to get faster and be a better 'team member' out there. Sunday's very chilly start went well. I smoothed out my lines and started pushing a bit more. Dropped 4 seconds off my practice time ( down to a 2:04.1). Wasn't anywhere close to the front of S6, but started having fun.
Afternoon sessions after a 6 hour downtime meant that it was like walking a course and not driving until last heat. We did 'short sessions' where instead of all of us going out for 20+ minutes, smaller groups went out for 10+ minutes, which meant you only got 2-3 flying laps to get it done. No matter what I did, I couldn't get down lower.... 2:05.8 and then 2:04.2.
Looking at those sessions, the lap times were really consistent so I need to just get settled faster.

Huge thanks to the national staff and ATL region for putting this great event on. I'll definately be back for more TT events next year.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
thrdeye

Re: AARC/TT event @ road Atlanta 2021

Post by thrdeye »

I'll throw it out that if there's TT at a track that's on iRacing, folks are welcome to come take some laps in the rig. It will give you a decent idea of brake markers, elevation change, and where the nasty bumps are for sure.

Good job staying clean. I hope to be TT'ing soon.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Glad you had fun. We need a good group of ETR people at TTNats this year! We plan to camp there.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Mark, I would love to do TT nats, but with it being mid-may, that is RIGHT after I get back from OneLap and won't be able to get work off so quick.

I DO plan on going there with NASA or some other group to get some seat time there. If Pittrace has a national TT again, I'm going for sure.

Chris - thanks for the offer! I might need to take you up on that at some point over the winter.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing