SA2020 helmets

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Boyd

SA2020 helmets

Post by Boyd »

Hi.
I'm working on getting a new auto racing helmet, in particular a full face SA2020. I have had lots of success with Arai motorcycle helmets in the past, but all of Arai's SA helmets are intermediate oval. I need a long oval.

So I'm looking for suggestions in a long oval SA2020.

Also looking for a place I can go and try on a bunch of SA2020 helmets. I know I'll have to travel a little, but I've been working online and I've returned 4 helmets so far.

I know I have a big melon, but there has to be an affordable (<$2k?) quality auto racing helmet out there that will fit me. And I-net research is not much help, as very very few manufacturers list what shape their helmets fit.

TIA for any and all responses... See y'all in a week and a half!
Boyd Ingram
427 Factory 5 Roadster
368 Fox Mustang
Maryville, Tenn.
benk

Re: SA2020 helmets

Post by benk »

I'm in the same boat, waited til the last minute to order a helmet and gee if it doesn't seem to be much smaller than their sizing chart says. Unfortunately I don't know of anyplace within any sort of reasonable distance that has SA helmets in stock. Closest I've seen is Snell Motorcycle helmets and even then the stock is very small.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

Someone recently ask the same thing in the CCR FB group and it seemed like the Bell / Simpson stores in Mooresville was the best spot for a wide selection.

I just bought two helmets from Walmart online and the sizing was a tad bit smaller than expected, but totally passable.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Update: I had a vacation week to Austin Texas last week and was able to visit Winding Road Racing. They hooked me up with measuring and fitting and had a nice Arai open face GP-7 in stock that fits me great. Arai's can be pricey, but even in motorcycle helmets, they are what I've found that for me best.

If I hadn't found anything on this trip, I was going to start driving to all the local places yall have listed.

Thanks for all the input.

Thanks for all the input.
Boyd Ingram
427 Factory 5 Roadster
368 Fox Mustang
Maryville, Tenn.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Winding Road is a good place. I haven't visited in person but my helmet came from them.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

They treated me very well. Spent all the time I needed with me. Gave me and my chickadee a tour of the back shop where customers race cars were being worked on. She saw a race prepped CTS-V that she's panging for. Nice people, nice place. And didn't rob me for what I needed.
Boyd Ingram
427 Factory 5 Roadster
368 Fox Mustang
Maryville, Tenn.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Glad it was a good experience. Would love to see what they are building, that I can't afford. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story