Classing Help

Discussions related to Solo
FAQ222

Classing Help

Post by FAQ222 »

Interested in attending once I get my car done and would like to know what class I would be in. My car is a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and I have aftermarket wheels/tires and modified engine and drivetrain. I plan to register in Novice the 3 times allowed unless I feel comfortable before then. Thank you for any help. I hope to be able to join the fun very soon!
Buck05Sti

Re: Classing Help

Post by Buck05Sti »

What are the specs on the wheels/tires? What exactly is done to the engine and drivetrain? Those two will have the biggest effect on classing. There is the option of STM, which the only rule is 200TW tires.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

What about XSA and XSB? I haven't really looked into it but someone I was talking to this weekend thought that all of STM could be folded into one of those two classes.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

There are a couple of CAM-like rules and some min weights, but yeah, XSA is an option.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

dewittpayne wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:00 am What about XSA and XSB? I haven't really looked into it but someone I was talking to this weekend thought that all of STM could be folded into one of those two classes.
Bradley's Lotus is technically not legal for XS. Neither is Sean's Miata-kart. With the only rule for STM being 200tw tires and safety equipment, you could run a Formula Ford in STM and someone used to threaten to do that. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TedV

Post by TedV »

MARKP wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:43 pm you could run a Formula Ford in STM and someone used to threaten to do that. :lol:
8) Don't have to worry about that threat any more... from me :lol:

The details of the engine and drivetrain along with what tires you would like to run would impact the classing. If the tires are at or over 200 tread wear rating, STM can be a fun local run what ya brung class. Bigger item, once you get a ball park idea what class to run is learning to read the course for where it goes, DNF all day does suck. There will be novice course walks and if you have any questions, ask someone in an ETRSCCA shirt, they will be able to point you to who can help. The course can look different in a car than when walking it with lots of other folks out there. Biggest item, stay hydrated and have fun!
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

For a novice, I think it's really important to ride with someone competitive at least once. Most novices have no idea how fast a car can go and still be in control. Even better would be instructor runs like CCR does for their novices where a good driver takes you for a run in your car.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner