May 29th event

Discussions related to Solo
Nmorse

May 29th event

Post by Nmorse »

I'm new to SCCA plan on attending the 29th event as a spectator to get info, possibly have someone look at my vehicle and give advice on what to expect. I've looked around and haven't seen much info on spectators. Would I have to bring cash to pay for entry ? Am I even allowed to come if I'm not signed up or with a driver ?
dewittpayne

Re: May 29th event

Post by dewittpayne »

If you're not driving, you don't have to pay. You do have to sign a release and get a wristband to show that you signed the release. The release table is usually close to the club trailer. You can even borrow a helmet from the club and get a ride with someone. I don't know anyone that won't talk about their car and lots of knowledgeable people to consult about your car.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Nmorse

Post by Nmorse »

Thank you for the info. Basically need help on classification of my car and what tires to run stuff that any seasoned driver would know So I'm not just flying completely blind on my first race
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

We can probably answer most of your questions on here as well. Tell us a bit about your car. What year, make, and model is it? Any modifications or is it totally stock?

I won't be there this weekend but welcome to the fun!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Nmorse

Post by Nmorse »

I have a bone stock 2016 mini cooper countryman s all4
Guy before me even put the same tires it came on from the factory. Only thing I've done to it so far is oil changes and put spark plugs in.
Nick2500cd

Post by Nick2500cd »

I couldn't find the countryman S in the scca rulebook, but cooper coupe S/clubman S is classed as DS, for D street! I was worried that it might not be listed due to height/width requirements (can't be taller than it is wide without mirrors due to rollover risk) but your car fits the bill @61.4H/71.7W; in the street class you are allowed to run any tire/size as long as it's over 200tw.

You can remove/change/modify/add 1 sway bar (awd might benefit from stiffer rear/no front to help induce oversteer, depends on how your car is set up, most awd/fwd love to understeer so rear bar or front bar delete helps balance it out)

You can also change the rims up or down in size by one inch, but they must be the same width, and the offset can only be +/-7mm from factory.

You can change the shocks, but not the springs. When I started out I got some koni yellows but boy I sure was asking a lot of them with my 165in/lb and 80in/lb springs.

You can also modify the exhaust after the converter, I think. Can't remember! Pretty sure those four things are the only things allowed in street class but I could be leaving something out.

Final tip of the day, get there early enough to do several course walks, no later than 8ish. We have novice walks hosted by Jim Simmons, where he goes through; explains the course and provides helpful tips, I try to make sure I attend those, even after 4 years. ALSO inflate your tires up extra, most factory tires have a soft sidewall that will roll over easily, causing excessive wear on your outer edges. Minimum of 40psi and you can work it down from there by keeping track of edge wear and using tire chalk (which can be found by asking around) most tires have a small triangle that points to the tread, the "edge" of where your wear should be.

I think that's about enough word vomit for now haha! My last thing for real, come out and run the car as is, no need to spend extra money until you know where you need to spend it. Because as soon as you start spending it and seeing improvements you'll never want to stop!! I spent my entire first year in a 98 civic with blown shocks, bushings, 107hp and 7 year old tires from pull a part. Now I can't even pull out of my driveway without scraping and lifting a wheel! But I love it
Nick/Thorne Browning
'98 Civic HX
Nick2500cd

Post by Nick2500cd »

115hp* my bad
Nick/Thorne Browning
'98 Civic HX
Nmorse

Post by Nmorse »

My cars dimensions are 162″ L x 70″ W x 62″ H, it has factory run flats ill have to check the specs on them to see if I can run them. Eventually everything will be changed in the car. Just have to do it 1 part at a tike since the wife actually knows how expensive car parts are lol. I couldn't find anything on my car in the rules that's why I was going to drive it to the event and have an official look it over and give me the okay to run it before I sign up for a race. Also figured if I was there getting the info needed I could help out where it's needed. If this is anything like Enduro racing volunteers are always needed
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

I suspect that Nick could not find the Countryman because of this: Please look on page 180 of the SCCA rules book.

EXCLUDED FROM STREET CATEGORY
FOR REASONS OF STABILITY PER SECTION 3.1:
• Dodge Caliber (non-SRT)
• Fiat 500 (non-Abarth) (2012-19)
• Ford Fiesta (non-ST) (2011-19)
• Geo Tracker
• Jeep CJ series
• MINI Countryman
• Nissan Juke
• Scion iQ
• Scion xB (2004-06)
• Subaru Forester
• Suzuki Samurai
• Suzuki Sidekick

Not sure where a modified Countryman would fit into the existing classes.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
Nmorse

Post by Nmorse »

Since its not allowed in the street category will I have to get permission to run in another category? If they allow i in another category will they direct me on what I need to change in order to race ? Or will I be SOL and need to buy a different vehicle to race
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

I am honestly not positive. I think you would have to be modified enough to meet the stability requirements and then slot into a modified class. Maybe someone with some experience with this situation can chime in.

Also the width is taken from the track width not the vehicle width (see page 34 of rules) so a 2016 Countryman has a trackwidth of:
Front Track Width (inches)
Rear Track Width (inches)

and with a height of 61.5 that is probably why a stock one is not allowed.
Last edited by RxCritical on Thu May 26, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
Nmorse

Post by Nmorse »

Well thank you all for the info. When I show up this Sunday I should have a better idea on what needs to be done. I might just have to do the modifications I wanted to do to the car sooner then expected and just delay my entry into racing till next year
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Please see my updated post with more info
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Some anecdotal info - MINIs really are a rollover risk, and probably especially so at our sites which all will have some off camber turns. A few of the CooperS cars have rolled at autocross events, at least 3 or 4 through the years.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Nmorse

Post by Nmorse »

So essentially if I where to lower my car and make the track width slightly wider I should be good? Back in NY when I went to watch my buddy in rallycross there was a bunch of minis are the rules that much different from dirt to asphalt?