Formula SAE Team, Registration and Multiple Drivers

Discussions related to Solo
SpeedRacer5

Formula SAE Team, Registration and Multiple Drivers

Post by SpeedRacer5 »

Hello,

I am from the Pellissippi State Community College Formula SAE Team. We are interested in running our Formula SAE car and our shifter kart at several of the Solo events this summer. We have a few questions about how this would work as we've never done it before.

-Can we have more than just two drivers per vehicle?
-Which class would we be in?
-How do we register multiple drivers? (We have at least 4 drivers)

If there are any other things we need to know that I didn't think of please feel free to share those as well.

Thanks!
Charles Brush
2003 Lexus IS300 Sportcross
TedV

Re: Formula SAE Team, Registration and Multiple Drivers

Post by TedV »

Need to verify the number of drivers per car and let the registration folks know the events you will run. The standard classing for kart is KM, if you have lady drivers easy to have them run KML or bump the second 2 drivers to BM or AM. Prettymuch the same for the FSAE, FSAEL then bump to AM, AML. Have a way to quickly change the class and numbers. Numbers are usually a 2 digit for first driver then add 1 in front of that for the second driver. So first driver is 25, second is 125. Probably best to only have 2 drivers per run group. Registration and timing folks should be posting here shortly with more info
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yep, what Ted said.

Four drivers will be okay, but we can really only handle two per heat logisitically. So 2 drivers will run while the other two will be working their assignment. So if you have 4 per vehicle, what Ted said should work just fine.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
benk

Post by benk »

Yup, everything as stated above. You will need to let timing know if the car is running in multiple classes, this way we can make sure that the different classes the car is in are not running at the same time. It is your responsibility to make sure you change the numbers for each run. While it probably doesn't matter if you take all your runs in a row, then switch drivers, or if you alternate every run (all other competitors will be alternating every run) the imperative thing is that each driver makes sure they have the appropriate numbers on both sides of the car (kart) for their runs.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
SpeedRacer5

Post by SpeedRacer5 »

Does our Formula SAE car and Shifter Kart need to comply with the SCCA SOLO sound requirement? Our car complies with the FSAE rules max sound level of 103 dBC at idle and 110 dBC at all other speeds; however, this is higher than the SCCA max sound level of 100 dBC. I am not sure what the sound level of our shifter kart's exhaust system is.
Charles Brush
2003 Lexus IS300 Sportcross
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

They will need to be below 102 to run......
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

SpeedRacer5 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:05 pm Does our Formula SAE car and Shifter Kart need to comply with the SCCA SOLO sound requirement? Our car complies with the FSAE rules max sound level of 103 dBC at idle and 110 dBC at all other speeds; however, this is higher than the SCCA max sound level of 100 dBC. I am not sure what the sound level of our shifter kart's exhaust system is.
Not sure how FSAE measures but we measure at 50' from the course, in a place where you are likely to be on throttle. I can't imagine the FSAE cars are permitted to be that much louder than what we run.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

MARKP wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:09 pm
SpeedRacer5 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:05 pm Does our Formula SAE car and Shifter Kart need to comply with the SCCA SOLO sound requirement? Our car complies with the FSAE rules max sound level of 103 dBC at idle and 110 dBC at all other speeds; however, this is higher than the SCCA max sound level of 100 dBC. I am not sure what the sound level of our shifter kart's exhaust system is.
Not sure how FSAE measures but we measure at 50' from the course, in a place where you are likely to be on throttle. I can't imagine the FSAE cars are permitted to be that much louder than what we run.
Note the C (lack of) weighting in the FSAE rules. SCCA uses A weighting and the slow meter response function, i.e. average sound pressure rather than peak. C weighting is what you use to balance speakers in a multi-speaker and isn't actually weighted towards any part of the sound spectrum and is often used for peak sound pressure from an impulse. The A weighting filters the low frequencies. Come to think of it, that probably wouldn't help the small displacement engines in a Formula SAE or Shifter Kart. So SCCA is 100dBA, not dBC.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
TedV

Post by TedV »

FSAE measures sound half a meter away from the exhaust tip. SCCA measures it 50' away when you should be under hard acceleration with the meter set to A and slow. Most likely you will be ok. As long as the DD2 kart has all the sound absorbing glass mat in the silencer and has the intake airbox it should be well under sound. If you have a test day at the school parking lot, you can measure 50' away from a section you are under hard acceleration, set up the meter and see what it reads. set meter to A and slow.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm no sound meter, but I've been throwing discs at Pelli during test sessions in the spring and nothing stood out as loud.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
benk

Post by benk »

Are we really going to preach about sound for the FSAE car when half the time we don't run the meter or enforce the rules anyways?

Short answer, you have to be STUPID loud to get anyone to give a hoot, especially when we run at bristol.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

benk wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:31 am Are we really going to preach about sound for the FSAE car when half the time we don't run the meter or enforce the rules anyways?

Short answer, you have to be STUPID loud to get anyone to give a hoot, especially when we run at bristol.
Seeing that we have had an influx of excessively loud cars lately, yes, we need to be enforcing sound. It's not about FSAE. It's about everyone.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

sound has been ran at BMS on the last 2 events as I was the one doing it for one heat at each of the last 2 events.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I've done sound at BMS in the past. If the drag strip is open, the sound from the dragsters frequently reads higher than the cars on the autocross course. And those aren't Top Fuel or Nitro Funny Cars. 10,000 plus horsepower makes a lot of noise. I suspect that when the Cup cars are running on the oval, it's pretty loud too.

That being said, we should still run sound for information at BMS and for real at Smokies. People need to know how loud their cars are because they might go somewhere that will DQ you if you're too loud.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner