Event 9 Course Design

Discussions related to Solo
Miata22

Event 9 Course Design

Post by Miata22 »

Just wanted to comment of course. When I walked I was concerned for big cars. I thought if I could just get through the first part I could take advantage of the second half of course. What I was impressed with was no bumps at all!! The only sketchy part for me was the finish but not bad by any means. The long solom was awesome and then the blind entry Chicago box. The course grew on me every lap. It was very busy and my shoulder is feeling it now. By results this so called “tight” course became a power course. I would have never thought this. Thanks for the challenging course, I loved it.
Randy Adkins
Scoob

Re: Event 9 Course Design

Post by Scoob »

Thanks, Randy. It means a lot to me to hear you liked the course. I sorta suspected it as you were kicking our butts...

As always, if anyone has ideas for course design, talk to JY, Mark, me, whomever. We have enough space to try lots of stuff at BMS.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yep, slower courses but with reasonable gate width will be an advantage for power cars...going from dig to dig basically. Not necessarily "digs" but you know what I mean. My hamsters don't wake up until about 5500 and so for the first two turns were still napping.

Loved the long slalom, but could not stay ahead of it. As Randy pointed out, the off camber 3rd cone kept causing me to step out and got late every time....and I didn't figure that out until too late. Never have been good at anticipating and dealing with camber change.

Finish was bumpy enough to be sketchy in my car once I got that section right, but was able to anticipate it on subsequent runs. Generally my car was understeery yesterday and I couldn't fix it. I could have hooked the rear bar up if I had time but even then that would have probably bit me in the slalom.

Scott said this is his first course ever in 20 years of autocross. Glad you jumped in. Perhaps a little busy but it was definitely different especially with the loop. Well done.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

I honestly expected Miatas and Cibics to top the charts. I better understand the dynamics of the sleeping hamsters now. Maybe I'll design another one before another 20 years slips by.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The very first turn you did is pretty normal for a "national style" course for tours. Course designers are "encouraged" to make it so that the launch isn't a drag style to avoid car power disparity.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Wasn't there, but I don't think there was anything on that course that would have kept my car from having a chance to be in the mix. Looks like I would have been out of the power band in places and looks like it would have been pushy for people that can't rely on throttle rotation at all speeds, but I think I could have made up some in other places too.

Glad we are trying some different things.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I had someone come up to me and tell me they hated slaloms but they were happy to see it. He said he knows how to drive them but typically doesn't drive them the way he should. He was glad to get the opportunity to remind himself how to drive them correctly.

There were a couple of things I wasn't crazy about but I was happy to see a new perspective out there. I knew this course would leave you plenty of places to hang yourself. I proceeded to do exactly that. :lol: I'm glad I was able to entertain the crowd at the finish on my second run. I was more tense driving on Sunday than I have been in a while. There was a lot to it.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
FrankF

Post by FrankF »

I don’t think you needed to have power to do well on this course. But it definitely would have helped to hide all my mistakes. I really liked the course because of that. I had to put together a run with very few mistakes to complete with Cam. Obviously I didn’t do that, but the time was there.
Frank Forcino
2019 Miata