Looking for help selecting class

Discussions related to Solo
TSchuette

Looking for help selecting class

Post by TSchuette »

Hello, I’m new here and I am looking to participate as a novice in the SOLO event at BMS on 8/21. I am looking to register my car and am seeking help selecting the right class. I’m driving a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS. As far as modifications go, I have a cat back exhaust GM performance springs, a billet shifter and aftermarket wheels and Hankook tires.
I have printed the beginners checklist and read the FAQ and must read information. This will be my first time trying anything like this, and any information/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Tommy
Tommy Schuette
2015 Chevrolet Sonic RS
Raj

Re: Looking for help selecting class

Post by Raj »

Hi Tommy,
Welcome and glad to have you come race at BMS on 8/21
STH, as long as the wheels are less than 9 inch wide and tire section width is less than 265.
If the springs are factory installed, you might qualify for HS as well as long as wheels are same width and +/- 1" diameter of stock wheels.
Thanks,
-Raj
Raj
2019 Honda Civic Si
1995 Mazda Miata
TSchuette

Post by TSchuette »

Hey Raj,
Thanks for the reply! The wheels are 8” wide front and rear. That’s +1.5” from OEM wheels. They are the same diameter as OEM. The springs didn’t come on the car originally. They are a GM accessory kit. So STH then?
Tommy Schuette
2015 Chevrolet Sonic RS
Raj

Post by Raj »

That's correct, STH.
See you out on the track.
-Raj
Raj
2019 Honda Civic Si
1995 Mazda Miata
TSchuette

Post by TSchuette »

So I’m on MotorsportReg trying to register for the event. Under the “Class” drop down menu, STH is Street Touring Hatch and under the “Pax” drop down menu, STH is Street Tire Hatch. What selections should I make between those two menus? Also if I try to select Novice from the “Class” menu, it won’t allow me to choose a number. Is this normal?
Thanks for the help BTW! I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row here.
-Tommy
Tommy Schuette
2015 Chevrolet Sonic RS
Raj

Post by Raj »

Thanks for pointing that out, I think it should say Street touring hatch instead of street tire hatch, I will check on it. Under class select novice, pax select street tire hatch and when selecting numbers scroll down as a lot of the numbers are reserved, pick what is available that you like.

-Raj
Raj
2019 Honda Civic Si
1995 Mazda Miata
TSchuette

Post by TSchuette »

Cool, thanks again for the help!
-Tommy
Tommy Schuette
2015 Chevrolet Sonic RS
TSchuette

Post by TSchuette »

Raj wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:52 pm Hi Tommy,
Welcome and glad to have you come race at BMS on 8/21
STH, as long as the wheels are less than 9 inch wide and tire section width is less than 265.
If the springs are factory installed, you might qualify for HS as well as long as wheels are same width and +/- 1" diameter of stock wheels.
Thanks,
-Raj
Hey Raj, quick question. If I threw a set of tires on my stock wheels, would I be eligible to run in the HS class? The Springs I have were a factory option on my car. If so, can you go with a wider tire? Or does it have to be OEM size as well? Are there any other stipulations concerning the car or tire that I should consider? I’m trying to find this info on my own, but I can’t find specific rules for HS class. Thanks in advance!
-Tommy
Tommy Schuette
2015 Chevrolet Sonic RS
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Hey Tommy - it is section 13 in the SCCA rulebook that governs all Street classes.

You can put any 200+ treadwear tire on the stock wheels that you can fit. You can also increase or decrease the wheel DIAMETER by 1 inch. Width must be the same and offset has to be within 1/4 in/7mm
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

In case you need it, here's a link to the rulebook. https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_files ... 1661354272

Glad to see the interest in doing more with your car. It might not be the fastest out there but small hatchbacks can be a lot of fun. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story