Schools

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Boyd

Schools

Post by Boyd »

Please forgive if this is generally known, still kind of a noob here...

What's the difference between the 3 schools I see? I understand each is run by a different entity.

EVO, run by Evolution Perf Driving School
Starting Line, run by SCCA
ETR, run by you guys, right?

Is there any real difference between schools? As a new guy that has a lot to learn, should I shoot for all of em? Best 2 outta 3?

I'm signed up for Starting Line because that's the only one available so far. Just looking for some discussion and input.

Thanks.
Boyd Ingram
427 Factory 5 Roadster
368 Fox Mustang
Maryville, Tenn.
thrdeye

Re: Schools

Post by thrdeye »

Starting line is aimed at first time participants, or close to it (think 1-5 events). I think they include a good deal on a helmet when you do the school. That said, the instructors are very experienced and can tailor the instruction to your current level of skill and knowledge.

The ETR school is a great bang for the buck and will include instruction that is very very good for the price. Anyone from a complete novice to a national level driver can gain something from it. And our club has good drivers that are familiar with most types of cars, so we could pair up someone with you that will give you the most benefit.

EVO will generally have instructors come in from out of town and will be of varying pedigrees, but generally they have been quite successful on the national level. The EVO school is something that I try to do every few years to see if Jinx Jordan will still pick on me for overdriving.

If you have at least done a few autocrosses, I'd do the ETR and EVO schools. Plan on going through some tires.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Each one has its own plus side to it. The starting line has a lot of extras that come with it and good instructors. Evo is a very good school as well and the etr school is a good basic into and a good amount of seat time with instructors.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Thanks guys. Working on plans for this year.
Boyd Ingram
427 Factory 5 Roadster
368 Fox Mustang
Maryville, Tenn.
bb_22

Post by bb_22 »

I attended ETR school in 2019 or 2020 - I got 20+ runs and a good amount of seat time with a local driver (forget who it was, sorry). He helped me find a ton of time and helped me with my technique. It's the only one I have experience with, but it is an exceptional deal. I wound up getting involved with other racing stuff and didn't come back to autocross until last year, but the ETR school left a good impression on me.

I signed up for SCCA Starting Line because I plan on trying some track night events and possibly a time trial this year. You get a free TNIA voucher with starting line (along with a lot of other freebies) - so seemed like a win/win. Before I registered for starting line, I found this video which seemed like at this particular school they did an Oval, Slalom, and several AX runs with and without an instructor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcR8EcSSuzk

I don't have any comments on Evo school - I thought about registering but decided to go with Starting Line.
Billy Boone
#56 ND2 Miata
Previous cars: Mazda3, NB2 Miata