Questions Before My First Event

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
matthiasfan

Questions Before My First Event

Post by matthiasfan »

Good afternoon!

I am a complete newbie when it comes to any event like autocross. I used to own a Miata, about 12 years ago, but never autocrossed it.

I am looking at driving my first event at Bristol this Saturday and had a couple of questions:

My 2005 Scion XB was modified by the previous owner. They put a new exhaust, bigger wheels and tires, maybe some lower springs?, an air intake, and I believe a short shifter on it. Yes, it is a bit silly for a box, but it is what I have at this point. :) What pax would I enter this as?

My daughter is 16. Would it be possible for her to be my copilot for my first event? If so, what would I need to do for that?

I don’t have a helmet, but am looking at getting one. I saw there are loaners available at the event, but wanted to know what a recommendation is for when I go to buy one.

I appreciate your help and I’m looking forward to, Lord willing, being there with you all on Saturday. :)

Greg
Greg Ryan
06 Miata
MARKP

Re: Questions Before My First Event

Post by MARKP »

Welcome! Your PAX index would be based on STS. Hopefully it is lowered. It has to have a track width wider than it is tall. The XB can get there but not with the stock springs.

Your daughter is absolutely welcome to ride along. You will have to get the minor waiver filled out for her and signed by both parents. You need to get an SCCA login (Free) and once you have that, you can get the information on filling out the waiver here. https://www.scca.com/articles/2016898-d ... -life-easy

For helmets, the easy thing is to look for a helmet with a Snell rating. Either "M" or "SA" is fine. You can sometimes find a Snell M rated helmet at motorcycle shops. DOT rated does not meet the standard. As you mentioned, we do have loaners there that meet the ratings.

Hope you can make it on both Saturday and Sunday!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
matthiasfan

Post by matthiasfan »

Thank you for the info! I’ll be able to join for Saturday, but not Sunday.

I’m measuring my height as 60.5” and the track width as 57.5”. Does that mean that I can’t run it for this event or would that just change its category?

Thanks again!
Greg Ryan
06 Miata
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

It sounds like it hasn't been lowered enough. That looks to be close to the stock height based on a quick google search. If that's the case, unfortunately, you don't meet the rollover risk requirements.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
matthiasfan

Post by matthiasfan »

Okay, no problem. I’ve had my eye on a different car for a while, so this may be the catalyst I needed. :)

Have a great day and hope to see you all tomorrow!

Greg
Greg Ryan
06 Miata