Back From Peru

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MARKP

Back From Peru

Post by MARKP »

Congrats to Carpenter for his first National Tour victory in the Miata. McCrary "competed" and came in 2nd. Looked like a tough class. I think they are both a little more excited about the car these days.

John Brown came in a very close 2nd with everyone that should be fast in Topeka making a showing in Peru. Seems that Spridget might have a little life left, still.

Ted V had a fun time driving a Scirocco with more than twice the horsepower of what he is used to. So, Ted, when are you going to build something comparable???

I had a fun time trying to learn how to hustle a 3000+ lb Camaro around an autocross course. I about pissed my pants when I realized how much distance it takes to slow down that much weight coming into a 180 after flat-footing a maneuver before it. I was a little bummed I didn't get to finish my runs in it after the left front wheel came off on my co-driver's first run on Sunday. Note to other Camaro owners, don't buy the cheap Chineese hubs for an autocross car. They are good for about 2.5 days.

400 entrants is a lot of people for an autocross. We spent over 12 hours at the event site on Saturday. The concrete up there is the grippiest stuff around and it a whole lot of fun.

I also got to see an incredibly fast Lotus Europa. It had a normally aspirated V6 engine and took off like a rocket out of the corners.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

Doug trophied in STS.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

not cbring wrote:Doug trophied in STS.
&*(#, I knew I was forgetting someone! :roll:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Wow, congrats to the C-Stock guys... top two out of a class of 24! Wish you WOULD COME BACK TO A LOCAL EVENT so I can see how far off the pace I am :D
- Dave Disney
tscott

Post by tscott »

Congrats fellers. Way to represent the ETR.
Tyler Scott
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Congrats to everybody! :rockon:

McMark, You're going to Topeka, right? :lol: I wasn't going to be able to go, but I may ride out there just to watch C stock. Remember the Wednesday night banquet last year? Get your ass up on that stage!

Too bad about your ride Mark. Kind of an expensive three runs. Did you start drinking earlier on Sunday?
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

CABoegemann wrote:Too bad about your ride Mark. Kind of an expensive three runs. Did you start drinking earlier on Sunday?
Technically, it was 11 runs. 7 on the crappy practice course on Friday, 3 on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday before the other driver had the failure.

I finished the runs on Sunday in a '01 (I think) Camaro. Even more horsepower in the '01 but different handling. After seeing that generation Camaro get wheel hop from hell under braking at previous events, I decided not to push it and finished the day with the first run being my fastest. The last thing I wanted to do was contribute to another broken car.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Yea..seems like I remember the announcer calling trophy positions...and refered to me as John (brides maid) Brown.....for every Nat this year I'v come in 2nd .....

I totally beat myself.My car is fast again,(thanks LNS motorsports!),it handles better that ever(thanks Steve H.and Karl P.) but I guess after spending 6 mo. in a bad running/bad handling car....I couldnt get confident that the car will stick when pushed.

Folks,this course on Sun. was fastfastfast!!!!!!! with bumpy turns that could be taken at full speed if ya had the b@lls to do it. Most fun of the year so far.

Getting beat by Steve Bolinger is quite OK though,multi-time DP national champ. Ya know ..... his car is for sale..hmm I might jest have to buy the damn thing....maybe part it out. 1 more DP competitor gone...... :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
JAY

Post by JAY »

Congrats to all who went. I happened to pass Robert on 75S in Kentucky yesterday on my way back from Put-In-Bay. I honked and waved, but I am sure he thought I was some crazy driver.

Mark P in FS...No wonder I did not see his name.
Jason Collett
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Pax results are up on SCCA forums.....
not to bad......lots of fast names low on the list .
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

What's left of the Camaro spindle looks like counterfeit junk. You can see a dark ring around a bright spot in the center as if it had been cracked for a while before the center let go. I don't know what type of steel GM's specs call for but that spindle is not alloy steel which would bend before breaking like that.

I broke a pitman arm on a fork truck running over a railroad track once. On it, the crack had obviously been there a long time before it let go and it was cast iron. When looked at close, the crystaline grain structure was visible. On forged steel that should not be so obvious.

I wonder if that spindle was a casting instead of a forging.

I hope the owner of that Camaro gets new hubs and spindles from a Chevy dealer.

Dewey
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Mark,
I assume it was the second gen Camaro that broke the hub? If it was one of the 4th gens, I would like to know the brand name for the hub so I'll stay away from them. As for the wheel hop on the later cars, its caused by the braking system. It has something to do with the ABS system controlling the proportioning. You can improve the situation with a better torque arm, but its pretty much something you have to drive around. Thanks for the info!
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

It was a '97 that broke (the one I was driving). He had replaced the hubs 3 days earilier with ones he bought at a local parts store. After seeing that, I would suggest Genuine GM Parts for new hubs. I'll bet they aren't cheap, though.

This is the first Camaro failure I have seen or heard of but I don't follow them closely. I have heard that if you autocross a Corvette, you should replace the front hubs every year. I guess they use the same parts.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club