Can anyone help me diagnose a wheel bearing 2day or 2morrow?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

Can anyone help me diagnose a wheel bearing 2day or 2morrow?

Post by thrdeye »

Need some one that know what a bad wheel bearing sounds like to take a listen to my car. I spoke to Tyler and he thinks it is probably a bad wheel bearing - Subaru's are notorius for wheel bearing issues. Would anyone be able to take a listen to it?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Have you jacked the car up and turned the wheel by hand?

While driving does the noise vary (frequencey or level) in proportion to speed? Does it change when you turn one way or the other? Does it change when you apply the brakes or accellerate gently?

If it is a wheel bearing, don't wait to fix it.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

How hard is it to change a wheel bearing on a Scooby? Inner/outer wheel bearing set is $20 and it's like a 30 minute job on my ole Chevy. If you think it's the wheel bearing and it is a common problem, why take a chance? Just replace them as preventative maintenance.
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

it most likely aint cheap....
if it has a mid shaft bearing,that too sounds like a wheel bearing
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The sound is very rythmic in time. It is not a whirring sound at all. It almost sounds like a tire rubbing the fender liner would sound. The sounds does change a bit when I crank the wheel. Wiggleing the wheel back and forth (like we do in tech), it didn't move or make odd noises.

I took the wheel off yesterday, CV boot is intact and I didn't notice anything funky. I loosened the spring perch on my coilovers and re set the preload on the spring.

Wheel bearings are under my 60k warranty, and I could probably get it taken care of at Duff, despite the aftermarket brakes and suspension, but I don't want to drive too far because I'm sitting at 59,800 or so - so I'm just gonna squeek in under the warranty. It would be cool if I could get them to do both fronts under warranty.

I found a good write up on how to do it, but I don't have the tools to git r done.
Chris Harp
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

John Brown wrote:it most likely aint cheap....
Those dang new-fangled furrin' cars. :D

Chris - I don't know anything about Subarus, but if you need a place to work, you can use my garage one night this week. LMK if you need it. I'm in far west Knox near Northshore and Choto
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340

thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

LeadSSled wrote:
John Brown wrote:it most likely aint cheap....
Those dang new-fangled furrin' cars. :D

Chris - I don't know anything about Subarus, but if you need a place to work, you can use my garage one night this week. LMK if you need it. I'm in far west Knox near Northshore and Choto
Terry, thanks for the offer, but I don't know shit about shit when it comes to fixing these things. I only know how to make em go fast(er) and hit cones. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I'd rather get it done right, than try to do this on my own.

Here is the procedure to replace a WRX wheel bearing.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... el+bearing
Chris Harp
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

Chris - Sorry, but except for the BF Hammer, I bon't have most of the tools necessary to do ths job. But I do have a garage fridge full of beer and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If this were my car, I'd be taking this job to a mechanic. But if you can round someone up with the proper tools and know-how, you and I can sit on folding chairs and drink beer while they do it in my garage.
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340

MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I would be happy to take a listen if you could meet up with me sometime. From what you described so far, I think Tyler is right. Take it to Duff. If it's like a VW, you don't want to try it yourself.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

MARKP wrote:I would be happy to take a listen if you could meet up with me sometime. From what you described so far, I think Tyler is right. Take it to Duff. If it's like a VW, you don't want to try it yourself.
You work out west? I could meet up today anytime that is convenient for you.
Chris Harp
OvenMitts

Post by OvenMitts »

They're not that hard to change out, but I would do it under warranty if at all possible. The only hard part (besides finding a shop press) is the axle nuts.

I did my last wheel bearing by myself, and either I borked the install or something else is loose in there too.
Matt Tomlinson
1996 Subenstein
2002 Golf TDI
awdbandito

Post by awdbandito »

Well Chris, I did change out a wheel bearing several months ago. I pulled the entire spindle and bought a new wheel bearing and oil seals through Subaru($85) I then took my spindle and bearing to firestone who pressed the old one out and the new one in. I still had play in it so I ordered a 7k mile take off spindel I then bolted it all back together. I still have a spare spindle and hub in the garage that I need to Mic and see what the problem is with it. I also still have the bearing. I would order a used spindel/ hub assembly from Import Auto Salvage, I think it was $75 shipped, bolt it onto the car and drive on it till that bearing goes bad, while in the meantime rebuilding the one you have. Subaru wouldn't do mine under warranty even though I was well below the 60k mark.
TedV

Post by TedV »

Chris, I take it is a growling, grinding kind of nose? Do some S turns like a lazy slalom about 25-35 mph ( fast enough to make the nose but slow enough before wind nose) the noisy side that gets loaded usually is the bad side. Or, if you have a way to get all 4 tires off the ground like a lift, run the car in gear off the ground and use a stethoscope or looong screwdriver to your ear to find the bad bearing. Danger is part of the fun.

Call Duff and see if they will do it under warranty. I live just off Clinton Hwy on W. Emory if you want me to lend an ear.

Ummm… why did they take the outer CV boot loose? When I wrenched a scubiedoo they had the special tools to do it on the car.. who lota easier and no realignment after
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The wheel bearing are supposed to be covered according to the book. JD, what reason did they give you for warranty denial?

I am trying to get in touch w/ Duff.
Chris Harp
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Chris, I have all the tools needed. If you can't get the dealer to do it for free, let me know.
- Dave Disney