Newbie Intro

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Ritalin Kid

Newbie Intro

Post by Ritalin Kid »

Hi everyone.. my name is Robert and I live in the Knoxville area. I drive an 87 325i that I bought this summer and is an ongoing restoration project.

My friend and I have been looking into getting into the local SCCA scene for the past couple of months and hope to get some driving classes under our belts once we have an E30 just the way we want.

I came here hoping to meet some local enthusiasts who I can goto for friendly advice and help.

I work as an IT Technologist and I also am part owner of a small local computer repair shop. So if anyone is ever in need of computer help or parts don't hestitate to contact me.

-RK
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Welcome to the ETR RK. I don't know much about working on BMW's, unless it's a MINI, but I'm sure you'll be able to find several good sources for BMW knowhow at this site. John Brown would be a good one. :D

When are you going to come out and autoX with us?
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
Ritalin Kid

Post by Ritalin Kid »

I'm very familiar with how to work on the M20b25 E30s. So far I have done everything to the car myself except alignment of the wheels.

This summer my best friend and I practically cleaned up and replaced everything under the hood except the block and head myself. I also swapped it from an automatic to a 5 speed and replaced the entire front suspension.

Before I can autox I'm waiting to redo the rear suspension and possibly swap to a higher geared LSD (from a 3.73 to a 4.10). Right now I'm waiting for things to warm up so I can devote my weekends to car work once again.
Last edited by Ritalin Kid on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Don't worry about it. As long as the car is safe and in good working order (i.e. not leaking fluid everywhere), go ahead and autocross it. You will regret it if you don't.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

You might want to get a rulebook. $25 They are availible at each race or at the monthly meetings. (first Tuesday of each month at Mancino's)
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
Ritalin Kid

Post by Ritalin Kid »

thrdeye wrote:Don't worry about it. As long as the car is safe and in good working order (i.e. not leaking fluid everywhere), go ahead and autocross it. You will regret it if you don't.
I do have 2 very small oil leaks I have patch up before I can consider autox. I have to rebuild the oil cooler and redo the rear main seal because I failed to RTFD the first time I replaced it. :oops:

For safety sake I also need to replace the front valence.
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

CABoegemann wrote:You might want to get a rulebook. $25 They are availible at each race or at the monthly meetings. (first Tuesday of each month at Mancino's)
I 2nd this suggestion. A gear ratio swap from stock ratio automatically throws you into the "Street Modified" class, a VERY competitive class in our region.
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.
steverife

Post by steverife »

The 4.10 came in autos, so it could be a DSP car.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Ritalin Kid

Post by Ritalin Kid »

LeadSSled wrote:
CABoegemann wrote:You might want to get a rulebook. $25 They are availible at each race or at the monthly meetings. (first Tuesday of each month at Mancino's)
I 2nd this suggestion. A gear ratio swap from stock ratio automatically throws you into the "Street Modified" class, a VERY competitive class in our region.
I'm afraid that I might already get thrown in that class. When I rebuilt the top end of the engine I upgraded the DME and the injectors from 1 pintle 14lb to 4 pintle 19lb. Also the 4.10 never came on an 87 325i automatic. Is the swap from auto to 5 speed considered a vehicle modification?
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

not cbring wrote:The 4.10 came in autos, so it could be a DSP car.
Rife been readin' da rulebook. Sounds like all the mods you have made will put you squarely into DSP. Actually a decent car for the class if you don't mind spending some money. Get a rulebook or download it online at http://www.scca.org. Look for Solo II rules.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Welcome to the club... even if you are with the wrong German automaker...
Stephen Wilson

thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

:D :D :D
RIEF BEN READIN DA RULEBOK11!!! SOUNDS LIEK AL TEH MODS U HAEV MAED WIL PUT U SQUAERLY IN2 DSP1!1!! WTF LOL ACTUALY A DACENT CAR FOR DA CLAS IF U DONT MIND SPANDNG SOMA MONEY!111! LOL GAT A RULABOK OR DOWNLOAD IT ONLIEN AT WWSCAORG1!!1!1 LOK FOR SOLO I RUL3S
1!!1 OMG WTF
12 yr old aoler translator
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Ritalin Kid

Post by Ritalin Kid »

Steve-o wrote:Welcome to the club... even if you are with the wrong German automaker...
No need to be hatin' on the E30 son.. last time I checked they run circles around the 190E.. lol.. j/k

Your sig says you're a UT Mech. Eng. student at UT. I work for the IRIS Lab in Ferris Hall. Do you ever drive your track car to UT? You may have seen my car around there. It's delphin blue with faded paint and old loud muffler. She's not pretty but under the hood she's a diamond.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Ritalin Kid wrote:
Steve-o wrote:Welcome to the club... even if you are with the wrong German automaker...
No need to be hatin' on the E30 son.. last time I checked they run circles around the 190E.. lol.. j/k

Your sig says you're a UT Mech. Eng. student at UT. I work for the IRIS Lab in Ferris Hall. Do you ever drive your track car to UT? You may have seen my car around there. It's delphin blue with faded paint and old loud muffler. She's not pretty but under the hood she's a diamond.

Everything runs circles around 190Es.

And yeah, I know your car. You made my ears bleed a few days ago when you drove by the stadium.
Stephen Wilson

Ritalin Kid

Post by Ritalin Kid »

I think I recognize you car. Do you live or hang out at the Crossing Place apartment complex? I remember seeing a nice black 190e 5spd when I went out there to repair some of their networking jacks.

I remember it mainly because I know a 5spd 190e in good condition is a rare find around Knoxville.
Steve-o wrote: Everything runs circles around 190Es.

And yeah, I know your car. You made my ears bleed a few days ago when you drove by the stadium.
Sorry bout that.. I forgot to mention that I'm in desperate need of a new muffler. Which brings me to another question.. are there rules against having a cat-less exhaust on a car?