Pro class drivers only! The 3 run debate.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories

Count only first three runs in results?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 12

thrdeye

Pro class drivers only! The 3 run debate.

Post by thrdeye »

Since this was sort of a hot topic at last night's meeting.....

Please post in this thread if you vote. If you do not run in the pro class, do not vote.

I believe the last poll was corrupted by non pros. This will be the official decision on this situation.

Premise: Count only the first three runs that you make in order to mimic National style events where you only get 3 runs. Any additional runs could then be used to make adjustments to your car or try something new and hopefully you'll figure out a way to go faster. To be clear, you will get the same number of runs as everyone else, but only the first three will count in the results. The intention, IMO, is not for everyone to go ape shit and start switching cars like mad men, although I know there are things to be learned by driving other cars. If you're gonna swap cars after your first 3, make sure you have YOUR class and number on the car.

Dave D has agreed to do this for anther event to test the practicality of counting only the first three runs in the pro class results. Any remaining runs would be timed and recorded, but scored DNF. You would still be able to view your raw time for these runs by looking at the "final" version of the results. If Dave D says that it's too much trouble after the next event, we will not do it.

My thoughts - I like it. Re-creating the "get it done in 3 runs" is important for competitors that go to bigger events. The extra tuning and testing that you can get after your 3 runs is also very important, but I know that I wouldn't experiment if I knew I could end up DFL by doing so. Overall, it will make you a better driver, and holds the pro class to a higher standard.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I voted yes. I hope we can make it work, I think it'll help me a lot.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Who voted and didn't post? You suck.
Chris Harp
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

You're the admin guy. Can't you find out?
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Posted. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
JAY

Post by JAY »

YES!
Jason Collett
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I am the culprit. I was in a hurry and didn't catch that part. Do I now get on the non-suckth list?

I don't like counting only the first 3 runs for five reasons:
1. It takes a lot of the fun out of the last runs. I am there for competition, not test and tune.
2. No matter how we do it, it is added work for T&S.
3. Hard if not practically impossible to compare to other's best times.
4. Personally I rarely have my best run in the first three (and I know this one is self-serving)
5. Confusing for outsiders
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Someone changed their tune!
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

scottgib wrote: I don't like counting only the first 3 runs for five reasons:
1. It takes a lot of the fun out of the last runs. I am there for competition, not test and tune.
4. Personally I rarely have my best run in the first three (and I know this one is self-serving)
Here's my response to these:

1. I'm there for competition but I also want to learn what works and what doesn't on my car. I'm less likely to make changes to the car if all the runs count. For competition runs, I'm working on driving the course.

2. Can't comment on that one since I don't know how much extra work it is. It might take 5 minutes, it might take 30.

3. I had no problem comparing times, especially looking at the results summary. TIME + DNF

4. If you go to divisional, national events. It's 3 runs and you are done. Practice makes better.

5. It's only confusing to the outsiders that don't know what is going on. Once explained, it should be pretty easy for them to understand. Most of the outsiders that would run Pro also run Divisionals and Nationals.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

It's also pretty rare that we get drivers from other regions in pro.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

MARKP wrote:
scottgib wrote: I don't like counting only the first 3 runs for five reasons:
Here's my response to these:

1. I'm there for competition but I also want to learn what works and what doesn't on my car. I'm less likely to make changes to the car if all the runs count. For competition runs, I'm working on driving the course.

2. Can't comment on that one since I don't know how much extra work it is. It might take 5 minutes, it might take 30.

3. I had no problem comparing times, especially looking at the results summary. TIME + DNF

4. If you go to divisional, national events. It's 3 runs and you are done. Practice makes better.

5. It's only confusing to the outsiders that don't know what is going on. Once explained, it should be pretty easy for them to understand. Most of the outsiders that would run Pro also run Divisionals and Nationals.
1. I think that 3 runs makes the compitition more intense. Not only do I have to bring my A game to not get embarrassed in "PRO", I have to do it right now. Also, like Mark said, it is nice to be able to try some new things with the expense of potentially throwing away some competition runs.

2. Agree with Mark.

3. Not a concern with me. I don't like giving up a few spots in overall results, but that is more motivation to "get it done now".

4. Agree with Mark.

5. Agree with Mark. Most outsiders that choose to run PRO probably already know some of us, so that shouldn't be a big deal.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

<----------Voted.
2013 WRX
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:Who voted and didn't post? You suck.
8 votes, 7 posts by individuals.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

MARKP wrote:
thrdeye wrote:Who voted and didn't post? You suck.
8 votes, 7 posts by individuals.
I can find out if I have to... but it requires digging around in the database. I won't be at all happy with the silent voter if I have to do it...
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Sounds like if Dave has to dig through the database, sombody's ass could git whooped.
Chris Harp