GRM Challenge Update

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

GRM Challenge Update

Post by disneyd »

Ok, we went to the GRM $2004 challenge last weekend. A few people have asked how it went... so here goes.

We spent the last three weeks working till midnight to get the car finished on time. It is a MG Midget with a Ford 2.3 Turbo engine, running stand alone fuel injection and big injectors. It laid down 235 hp and 310 ft/lbs torque at the rear wheels. We haven't weighed it yet, but it should be around 1400 pounds. Used R1 motorcycle shocks as front coilovers, completely rebuilt the rear suspension as a 3-link using a 1st gen Rx-7 axle. It also required building a custom transmission tunnel and much fabrication to get the engine crammed in there. We used an old Volvo intercooler as a front mount intercooler. Plus many, many other mods and fabrication jobs. BTW, I finished the paint job at 3:00 am... it turned out pretty good so I guess I'll have to do my next paint job while I'm hopped up on Red Bull too.

Anyway, we dyno tested it, but never got a chance to get it to an autocross or drag strip to do any real testing. We got to the drag strip in Florida Friday and could not get the car to run right... fuel delivery problems. After several hours of fiddling, we found that the tow down must have shaken a bunch of crap loose in the fuel cell, as the in-line screen between the pump and the cell was clogged with fuel cell foam lint and other stuff. The screen broke when we removed it. We plumped in a cheap inline fuel filter, but the pump was sucking it dry before it could fill from the cell. So, we finally said screw it and hooked up a straight hose (we still had a filter between the pump and the engine). We made a run at the lowest boost setting and it ran fine with a 14.2 second 1/4. When then turned the boost up to where we had been dynoing it (20 psi). The clutch (or something else in the tranny) let go during the first shift.... it came out of the hole like a rocket though and still set a 17 second run, even though it coasted half the track. It should have a mid to high 11 second run in it.

Well that's what we get for not testing it. We figured the stock clutch would hold since the car is so light, but it didn't. Eh well, we'll get it tested and tuned and take it back next year.

Looks like I'll have some good E-Mod competition locally this year though!!!

Some pics:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
- Dave Disney
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Thanks for the post and pictures. That is a good looking paint job and some inovative engineering. I look forward to teching this car.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
steverife

Post by steverife »

that paint does look good. i'll give you $2005 cash for it :wink:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I'm curious what year TC that came out of?
Jeff Miller
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I think we'll hang on to this one for a while Steve... but we've got a $2003 GTX we'll make you a deal on!

TNTurbo, it came from an '86 TurboCoupe. We got the car for $150 and pretty much everything but the drivetrain was trashed.
- Dave Disney
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

If you guys are interested in any parts from an 88 model, let me know. I thought it was an earlier one by the valve cover and the belt setup. If you guys ever want to switch to a serpentine setup or need any 2.3T specific parts let me know I have several of these things in various states of disassembly and would make you a very good deal.

What sort of mods do you have? If you don't want to go into that here or don't want to say at all I understand. Are you using a manifold or a header?
Jeff Miller
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

No secrets, just a lot of work... We're using the stock manifold, just ran a pipe out of it to the side of the car. We're using an Rx-7 alternator, so it would probably be a pain to switch over to a serpentine belt. The valve cover did come from the donor TC, but the paint was flaking off of it so we just sandblasted it and polished.

The intake has (as you can see) been cut down and turned 90 degress to clear the hood... no real power gains there (probably a loss). 550cc injectors and a SDS fuel injection system (fuel control only, no ignition). Also have a MSD 6A helping the spark. We were kinda disappointed with the power output. We are running 115 race gas (leaded) and 20 psi of boost. The general consensus on the 'net with our mods seems to be 350 hp, but we're not seeing that. I guess its another case of people adding up a wishlist of horsepower from their mods and coming up with an unrealistc number. FWIW, the car really didn't make much more power past 18 psi. I think the turbo is doing all it can at 18 and anything past that its just heating up the air too much.
- Dave Disney
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I doubt it would be a pain to switch it as I have all the bracketry and a very similar looking alternator that was factory on 88 TC motors. It may interfere with your cut and turned intake though. What turbo are you using .48 or .63 AR? I think 350 is unrealistic based on my personal experiences, but OTOH your numbers seem down a little, hp more than tq, than typical. Are you still using the 86 manifold or a later model E6 casting? The E6 switch is a good upgrade. FWIW, I had an 88 TC engine running stock big VAM and 35lb injectors, gutted upper, hand ported lower, hand ported E6, 65mm throttle body from a Mustang, and a .63 AR T3 from an 86 5 speed car and made 240 rwhp. at 18lbs on pump gas with the top mount intercooler.
Last edited by tnturbo on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Miller
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

The alternator has to go low on the passenger's side of the engine, where it is now (check the 3rd pic). It won't really fit anywhere else.

I'll have the check on the AR on the turbo, I never paid any attention to what it was. We are using the 86 exhaust manifold.

We can't really spend much more money on the car. We were slightly under budget, but not by much. What we can do is invest more time. If you have any suggestions for things we can port for more power they would be highly appreciated... or cheap parts we might get in a junkyard for a few bucks (maybe a bigger TB?).
- Dave Disney
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I think I have an E6 manifold I can sell you REAL cheap. If you are willing to run a cracked one that has been welded up I will give it to you when I find it. Check the casting number on the manifold you have and see what it is. The 65mm throttle body from a 94-95 5.0 is a nice upgrade. If you are willing to do the work (I'm sure you are) the later model manifolds are better and you can port them. I have several of these around, again for this particular project they would be REAL cheap. Do you still have the radiator for the TC? If so we can do some trading. Rather than continue hijacking this thread, I will start a new one with some 2.3 suggestions. My 2.3 background is from round track cars and drag racing, but hp is hp.
Jeff Miller