So how long have you been doing autoX?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
PushinTheLimit

So how long have you been doing autoX?

Post by PushinTheLimit »

I got to looking the other night at some of the archive results and still recognized quite a few names. So how long have some of you all been doing this? Also, it would cool to maybe see what kind of cars everyone has used in the past years... I'll start it off, although mine will be quite short.

Started last year in Oct. 07 with my 04 Cobra. Ran a total of 5 events in 07 and 1 in 08. Sold the cobra and I have now ran 5 events with the Z06 and counting. Feels like I've been doing this awhile... but I still don't even have a years expereince yet :shock:
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
Steven

Post by Steven »

I started in '99 or '00 w/ a '94 Accord. It started out only having an aem cai (one of the 1st ones made for my car) and ended up being a stripped out/roll bared/race seats/harness/etc autox/track day car. My little brother drives it now though most the interior is put back in it. The car has close to 400k miles on it and still running strong... I stopped autoxing regularly in '06 and most of '07 until I bought my current car, a '00 s2k. I did the last 2 events w/ it last year and most of the events this year with it.
TedV

Re: So how long have you been doing autoX?

Post by TedV »

started autocrossing May 26, 1991 the day after I got married.
cars:
90 VW Corrado couple of events
VW Scirocco DSP
VW Scirocco FSP
VW Scirocco FP
VW Scirocco SM 1.8lt 8V NA
VW Scirocco SM 2.0 16V NA
VW Scirocco SM 2.0 16V Turbo
CM Royale Formula Ford
VW Scirocco FSP 1.6 TD

plus rides in other folks cars here and there. Still autocrossing, but no longer married. :wink:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

I thought I had started in '04, but it looks like I actually ran a couple of events at the end of '03. Several of us (Chris, Gebbia, Trey, Brad, Collett, etc) all started within the same year or so.

Anyway, for me...

'03: VW GTI 1.8T
'04: I went from the GTI to a Mustang GT in the spring. I bought my first set of race tires.
'05: I bought a STS2 CRX, but mostly ran the Mustang.
'06: I focused on the CRX, started getting it sorted out, then sold it in October.
'07: I bummed rides pretty much all year, then bought the Mazda in November.
'08: Trying to get quick in the Mazda. No luck so far. :(

I think there is a rule against me running the same car for two seasons, so who wants a co-driver for next year???? :lol:

edit: I've co-driven STS GTI, SM Subie, STX WRX's, STS2 Miata, CS Miata, AS STi, GS Mini, and DSP Neon.
Last edited by steverife on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

1st event was August 13, '06 at Adessa. I made it to a few more events in '06, and then have only missed 2 or 3 since the start of the '07 season.

I was sitting around with a friend of mine talking about car stuff that Saturday, and "wouldn't it be neat to go find an empty parking lot" when I recalled watching an autocross with my dad at ORM 15 or so years ago, a google search turned up the ETR site and we walked up at that event.

The MR2 has been my sole means of transportation/automotive fun for the past 9 years.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I started in '04, took a break in '06 (only did 3 events that year) when I bought a house. I've pretty much only driven the Camaro, although I've run the Miata 2-3 times, and bummed a couple of rides in the Impala. Here is the old turd at its first ORM event:

Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Scuffcakes

Post by Scuffcakes »

I started half-way through 05 and have stuck with the same car the whole time.

Well... Same car but there have been a LOT of changes since then.
David Guffey
97 Miata - STS #40
99 Miata - Nicest beater I've ever had
88 4Runner - Trusty, rusty trail-sled
Budman

Post by Budman »

I ran 7 events in '05 & 1 event in '06. Found out that the red Saturn was not technically legal as I had swapped on rear disc brakes, but not the whole ABS system that come with disc brake system. Bought the current green car with blown motor, but it came equipped with the ABS & rear disc brakes & then spent the rest of '06 getting it ready. Did 11 events last year and all of them so far this year. I'm still a relative noob and feel I have a lot to learn and get better at as a driver (i.e. looking ahead, getting over the hangup of not wanting to shift to 3rd when I really should, looking ahead, hand position.....did I mention looking ahead? :oops: I really struggle with that!).
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
Mike998

Post by Mike998 »

I started last year at the ORM event. Bummed a ride in a 97 Miata for most of 07. Ran a total of 7 events last year. Bought a 94 Miata back in April and have done 2 events this year in it. I'm still a noob but hopefully I can continue to improve.

Mike
ES 98
94 Miata
85Carrera

Post by 85Carrera »

My first AX was last August...think I did @ 4 at the end of last year. This year I have done 5 AXs so far, for a total of 9...and also did the AX school this past March in Greeneville....all done with my 85 911....now i'm hooked :P

Barry
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

Well I started back in 2005. I think I ran 1 maybe 2 events that year.

I ran my first HPDE event in March of 2006 and pretty much decided I was done with autox. I think I may have run 2-3 autox's that year. I just couldn't make myself go out in the heat and or rain to run 3 times on a 30sec course.

I ended up going to a Nashville TR event later on in the year that peaked my interest in the sport again.

In 2007 I did my second HPDE event and decided once again that I was done with the parking lot stuff. I was going to build a track car. After spending most of the summer missing out on events, I came to the conclusion that I couldn't afford to run more than 1-2 track events a year. I was going to have to find my fix for speed in autox.

I ended up running 5-7 events in 2007 and I'm hooked once again.

I sold the cobra in favor of picking up a more track friendly car. Best decision (car wise) I have ever made.

So far this year I have run 5 events and plan on running 10-12 more.

2003 cobra: 10-12 autox's, 2 HPDE's
2003 Z06: 7 autox's, 1st HPDE coming up in Aug
2010 Subaru STI
JasonI

Post by JasonI »

Started in 2004 with an 2003 Corvette convertible
Started dabbling in higher speed stuff @ 411.
Started going to track days at NSS and TGRP.
Gave up fighting city hall and sold the vert for an '02 Z06.
Just completed my first Time Trials event with NASA this past weekend at Barber.

[brag]
Finished 4th of 8 Saturday.
Held the class record for 2 hours Sunday.
Finished 2nd to my instructor by .2sec by the end of the day Sunday.
[/brag]
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Hee hee,

I started in 1974, long before most of you were no more than a gleam in your father's eye.

1967 VW Beetle
Mongrel VW Beetle Baja
1967 Mini Cooper S
197? VW Rabbit
Another 1967 Mini Cooper S
1985 Honda Civic Si
1972 Porsche 914
2002 Mini Cooper S
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Technically, I started in September 1989 with the UT Sports Car Club. Ran some events in my '83 Celica GTS and broke the differential more than once.

My dad suggested getting something more reliable for autocross and keep driving the Celica daily. Purchased a non-running, partially parted out '79 Scirocco in '90 and started running it with SCCA in '91. With the exception of one year when I ran my '84 GTI in stock class for a year, I ran that car until 2004.

Robert Carpenter took pity on me in 2005 and let me drive his national championship winning Celica since I didn't have a car to drive.

I bought the '85 CRX that I still have in 2006 and ran it that year and the first event in 2007 when the engine decided it did not like life. It still sits in my garage, not having run since then. I bummed rides in 2007 from anyone that would let me drive.

Trey Davis took pity on me this year and suggested I co-drive with him in the Impreza. Being autocross-carless seems to work well for me. :lol:

Long story, short:
'83 Celica GTS
'79 Scirocco (street prepared)
'84 Rabbit GTI (stock)
'05 Celica GT (GS - thanks to Robert)
'85 CRX Si (STS2)
'97 Subaru Impreza (HS)
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

So I've owned as many autocross cars as Mark and more than Ted?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97