Is this crazy?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Leadfoot

Is this crazy?

Post by Leadfoot »

I'm thinking about trying a pair of r-compounds on the front. I feel like I've got plenty of grip in the rear, and the added traction would help counter my understeer. Is that stupid for some reason I don't see?
tscott

Post by tscott »

IMO, I wouldn't do it. I've personally seen a very bad accident occur because some kid put R-compounds on the front of his car with street tires in the rear. His car was a FWD, it may be different wit AWD, but I wouldn't want to be the one to test it.
Tyler Scott
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I agree with Tyler. This would be a bad idea. Your AWD might make up for the lack of grip in the rear, somewhat, but the difference between race tires and street tires is huge.

I have personally tried this on my car once as a matter of necessity and I spent the entire time chasing the rear of the car. It wasn't fast and it wasn't very fun, either.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
disneyd
Site Admin

Re: Is this crazy?

Post by disneyd »

Leadfoot wrote:I'm thinking about trying a pair of r-compounds on the front. I feel like I've got plenty of grip in the rear, and the added traction would help counter my understeer. Is that stupid for some reason I don't see?
Your problem will probably reverse itself. The front will stick on turn in and you will have massive oversteer. The AWD will help some, but I still think you'll have problems.

Sounds like something you could try at the Test & Tune :twisted:
- Dave Disney
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

I hate to say it, but your understeer is most likely the result of the upgraded front swaybar. Tightening up the front like that will result in push, just as stiffening the rear swaybar will make a car tend toward oversteer. You're better off with the stock front swaybar if you haven't changed out the rear. I'm somewhat suprised that the Cobb didn't say something about that when you got it. :?
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Yes, that's the conventional wisdom. I really didn't notice much change in understeer from the bar, though I only autocrossed once without it. Others argue that by inhibiting roll, the rollbar helps keep camber from going too positive, which maintains a larger contact patch and actually improves front grip and lessens understeer.

I'm inclined to believe the front bar is a net gain. It helps explain how I've been able to turn better times in the last two events than Tyler. Sure, it could be due to superior driving...but I doubt it. :)

Thanks for the sanity check, guys. Guess I'll hold off until I can buy a full set.
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Bought me a set of the Avon Tech R's... :twisted: